He was checking for slick spots when he spotted smoke, now a week later a maintenance worker is honored by the couple he saved from a burning home.
Darrell Vance and Jennie Mceowen were asleep last week when Charles Hanson started knocking on their door. The couple woke up and escaped the flames.
The couple did not have a smoke detector and say they owe their life to Hanson.
A week after the fire they presented him with a certificate. They wanted to do more, but said they could not afford to at this time.
The couple calls Hanson a hero, but he says he only did what anyone else would do.
The couple lost everything in the fire. If you would like to help them you can make a donation at any Farmers Bank and Trust.