Couple Is Suing Peanut Butter Maker

By: Angela Sparkman Email
By: Angela Sparkman Email

An eastern Kentucky couple says they got so sick that they thought they would die.

That family is suing the makers of the peanut butter they say caused the illness.

Darren and Patricia Ambrovich say they're glad to be alive.

The couple says they were both very sick and in the hospital in February before the recall was ever announced.

The Ambroviches are upset the reason why they got so sick was in their own kitchen.

Patricia Ambrovich said February 7th was a normal day when she went to the grocery store and then made lunch for her and her husband.

Little did she know their favorite food would change their life.

“Made peanut butter sandwiches and peanut butter crackers, approximately two hours later, got sick,” Patricia said.

“I just thought I had the virus or the flu,” Darren Ambrovich said.

“I was throwing up, feeling really, really bad, thought I was going to die actually,” Patricia said.

The next day an ambulance took them to the emergency room.

The doctor diagnosed them both with food poisoning.

The Ambroviches said they had no idea how they got it until a week later when Con-Agra Foods announced the peanut butter recall and their doctor immediately alerted them to check.

“We looked at the lid and it said 2111, and we knew that was all we had eaten that day,” Patricia said.

The Ambroviches' attorney filed the lawsuit against Con-Agra on Monday.

It asks the company to pay their medical bills and other alleged punitive damage.

“It just concerns us these steps weren't taken sooner to protect the public. Essentially make these companies pay for putting a product out on the shelf that endangers us all,” Phillip Wheeler said.

“It scares me because I don't know what we can eat because I'm too scared to buy anything now,” Patricia said.

She hopes the lawsuit will also cause food companies to take notice and prevent a future similar situation, but as for her favorite food, “I won't eat nothing with peanut butter now, for the rest of my life.”

You must be logged in to post comments.

Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:

Read Comments

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
  • by Linda Brown Location: NC on Jun 15, 2007 at 08:23 AM
    Me too! I also ate the Peanut Butter and ending up in the hospital. I was told I was one stage shy of organ failure. Several weeks later I heard about the recall and noticed mine said 2111. Which would explain why I kept getting sick/staying sick. I too am afraid to eat anything with peanut butter and that was one of my favorite foods. Your story is mine to a "t".
  • by pammy Location: hazard on Apr 25, 2007 at 05:42 PM
    come on you can food poison yourself at home with uncooked food or anything. Did the hospital say it was the peanut butter.


2851 Winchester Rd. Lexington, Ky 40509 859-299-0411 - switchboard 859-299-2727 - newsroom
Register for Email
RSS Feeds
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 7173391 -
Gray Television, Inc.