Woman Dies From Injuries After Wheelchair Caught Fire

A Covington woman has died after receiving severe burns when her wheelchair caught on fire.

62-year-old Joyce Wainscott died two days after the fire.

Covington police say it happened at the Goodwill Village Apartments when Wainscott apparently dropped her cigarette.

Officials say because of a medical problem she was unable to put out the fire herself in time.

You must be logged in to post comments.

Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:

Read Comments

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
  • by shannon Location: kentucky on Jun 1, 2007 at 03:38 PM
    yes it does sound a little strange that a cigarette caused a woman to die in a fire, unless of course there was oxygen on the wheelchair that enhanced the flames..
  • by John Location: Scott County on Jun 1, 2007 at 10:02 AM
    Well, I've always heard that cigarettes will kill 'ya...they don't specify how, but this poor lady found out that it doesn't have to be lung cancer, it could be due to the fire that it caused.
  • by John Location: Smoke Free Lexington on Jun 1, 2007 at 10:01 AM
    Sounds like Shane is one of those "angry" smokers who feel cigarettes are not harmful. If it was an electric wheelchair I'm sure they would have brought up that point in the story. Cigarettes kill in more ways than one and yes Shane, I am a cigarette smoker, not a non-smoking activist. I can however see both sides of an issue. Smoking is harmful but my will power sucks so I can't quit.
  • by Shane Location: Frankfort on Jun 1, 2007 at 07:08 AM
    This sounds very fishy. Why is everyone so quick to blame a cigarette for every fire in the world??? If they see that she was a smoker, then it's case-closed must've been a cigarette. Maybe diving a little deeper may reveal that it was something else (if it was an electric wheelchair maybe the batteries were defective, and that being behind her, she was unable to put it out quickly). Look at all the angles before you make cigarettes the culprit.
  • by bill Location: eastern ky on May 31, 2007 at 09:44 PM
    something don't make sense here if you are able to hold a cigarette you could put out the fire before it got bad sounds like it need's to be investigated thiere could be more to this


2851 Winchester Rd. Lexington, Ky 40509 859-299-0411 - switchboard 859-299-2727 - newsroom
Register for Email
RSS Feeds
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 7772182 - wkyt.com/a?a=7772182
Gray Television, Inc.