Laurel County Boy Burned After Bizarre Explosion

By: Ashley Davidson Email
By: Ashley Davidson Email
More Video...

A three-year old boy is safe tonight after a bizarre explosion in Laurel County.
The boy was flown to UK Hospital with burns to his face and head.

Laurel County emergency responders say the boy was walking outside the Plantation Apartments in London when he dropped his sippy cup.

When the cup hit the ground something exploded, burning the Toddler's head and face.

People who live in the apartment complex told us some teens had been playing with gun powder the night before and that may be the cause of the explosion.

Police did question some teenagers that live in the apartment complex Monday night, but no charges have been filed.


You must be logged in to post comments.

Username:
Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:

Read Comments

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
  • by mother Location: ky on Jul 17, 2007 at 09:51 PM
    I'm not surprised, i dont live in laurel county, but i was out there last weekend to fish and we were at the fill zone getting gas before going home and across the street were about 5 or 6 kids 10 years and under running along the road in front of burger king and i never saw any parents. This is how it happened, we need to keep a closer eye on our kids!
  • by Nathan Location: Somerset on Jul 17, 2007 at 09:03 PM
    Here we go again! Another wild story from Laurel County. From some reason everytime I read a bizarre story in the news it is from Laurel County. All the sippy cups I ever saw was made of plastic. I don't know how plastic can make a spark to burn gun powder? I think someone is telling a big fat lie about what happened. I pray for the boy and hope someone comes forward to tell the truth about this story. The story I read here doesn't make sense to me.
  • by K Location: Somerset on Jul 17, 2007 at 04:48 PM
    I think maybe cutter was just saying that about gunpowder? Sounds to me like they heated up the boys drink in the microwave, he drank it , it was too hot and he dropped it, causing the hot liquid to explode from the force of hitting the ground. That would my educated guess!
  • by Joe Location: Lexington on Jul 17, 2007 at 12:28 PM
    Well, seems to me if the sippy cup ignited the gunpowder, it must have been filled with a flaming shot of Sambuca. I thought the legal drinking age in KY was 21 years, not 21 months...
  • by Faye Location: KY on Jul 17, 2007 at 08:47 AM
    First of all, this article does not say the child was not supervised. It only says that he was walking outside the apartments. If people saw teenagers playing with gun powder then why was that issue not addressed? I'd be concerned to see teenagers ,or anyone else for that matter, "playing" with gun powder around my home.
  • by Russell & Misty Thornsbury Location: Mallie , Ky. on Jul 17, 2007 at 08:35 AM
    This is so sad...i hope and pray he will be ok...but i have a question ....Who would let there kids play with gun powder? There no way i would let mine...our prays our with the little boy!!
  • by Brandi Campbell Location: ky on Jul 17, 2007 at 08:08 AM
    Poor kid - our prayers are with him!
  • by heather Location: jeffersonville on Jul 17, 2007 at 07:54 AM
    We can do without the redneck comments, a three year old was injured. I would also like to know where the supervision for this child was but obviously someone was there with the child to know that he dropped his sippy cup. Just curious. Parents need to teach their childrent the risk of playing with guns and gunpowder. It dangerous not only to them but to others around them as well. I hope this child has a good recovery and because of whats happened to this child I will keep a closer eye on what goes on in my neighborhood.
  • by Paul Location: Lex on Jul 17, 2007 at 07:45 AM
    Is it me or does this story smell a little fishy? This has to be the first time anyone has heard of external sippy cup combustion.. How in the world would dropping a cup on black powder ignite it?
  • by mb Location: former londonite on Jul 17, 2007 at 07:33 AM
    my concern is where are the parents of the teens who were fooling around with the gun powder???? from the tv/radio reports, the toddler seemed to be supervised. what kind of adult lets a teen fool around with gun powder???
  • Page:

WKYT

2851 Winchester Rd. Lexington, Ky 40509 859-299-0411 - switchboard 859-299-2727 - newsroom
Register for Email
RSS Feeds
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 8542562 - wkyt.com/a?a=8542562
Gray Television, Inc.