With more and more roofers beginning to solicit customers door to door, it's hard to know who to trust. Here are some tips from the Better Business Bureau on how to hire a contractor for your home repairs.
• Check out company with the BBB.
• Get a list of BBB members that do the work you need.
• Get several detailed estimates. (Don't assume the lowest bid will be the best quality job.)
• Ask candidates for references of clients who had similar work done in the past couple of years, and check with them.
• Get a written contract before allowing work to begin.
• Ask if there is a warranty and get the terms of it in writing.
• Contractors working in Fayette County must be registered with the LFUCG Division of Building Inspection (859-258-3770), so verify that anyone wanting to work on Fayette County homes is in compliance.
• Do not pay the entire amount of the job up front.
• Beware high pressure or scare tactics.
You can reach the Better Business Bureau at 1-800-866-6668.