Montgomery County Fire Station Catches Fire

More Video...

A massive fire kept crews busy on Monday morning in Montgomery County after the main fire station caught fire.

Several firefighters were sleeping inside the building at around seven in the morning when they woke up to the sound and smell of fire.

The fire started in the roof of the building and quickly spread.

Main Street in Mt. Sterling was shut down for much of the morning as crews worked to battle the flames.

Firefighters used a backhoe to get trucks and equipment out of the burning fire station.

Station One was heavily damaged and will likely have to be rebuilt. There were no injuries reported.

There are six other fire stations in Montgomery County which will handle all the fires until the main station can be rebuilt.


You must be logged in to post comments.

Username:
Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:

Read Comments

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
  • by KYFF on Sep 27, 2007 at 08:11 AM
    Most fire stations across this state do not have sprinklers or hard wired alarm systems.Yes we as the fire service need to do a better job of protection of our own stations with fire systems that give us early warning.Thank god the crew was awaken by the smell of smoke.The fire service as a whole needs to push for alarm and sprinklers systems in our homes.We sleep,eat and work in most case for 24 hours and in general need what sleep we are able to get while on duty.Volunteer stations are even more at risk due to no full time staffing which will allow for a fire to extend quickly throughout the station.The fire embarresment but not learning from this case could be.This is not the first fire station to burn.It is a nation problem.It time to mandate sprinklers and fire alram systems in fire stations across the state and the nation.We cannot protect others if we cant protect ourself!
  • by Bob Location: Connecticut on Sep 27, 2007 at 07:40 AM
    The article doesn't mention if the building had an alarm system or fire sprinklers. The only potential for "embarrasment" would be if it were rebuilt without both.
  • by Brent Location: In this fire on Sep 24, 2007 at 08:22 PM
    I would like to take a moment to respond to Mr. Sanders’ comment regarding this fire at Montgomery Co Fire Station 1. Mr. Sanders stated that this was an “embarrassment” for the Fire Department. As one of the crew that was inside of Station 1, at the time of the fire, I can attest that I have no embarrassment. I know that our crew did everything possible, after waking up to a smoke filled bedroom, to save our home away from home. We accomplished getting every piece of apparatus and equipment out unharmed. To me this was a major feat due to the fact that the fire had consumed so much of the attic space by the time we were awakened. We are Fire Fighters; we are not construction workers or contractors. We do not design nor build our fire stations, just as the average citizen does not build their own house. Would it be an embarrassment for a Health Care Professional to suffer a heart attack? Would it be an embarrassment for a Police Officer to have their vehicle broken into
  • by CAPT. GRIFFIN Location: MONTGOMERY on Sep 19, 2007 at 04:00 PM
    My comment is ,my station was the second crew in ,laying LDH to engine 1 at station 1 ,never in my life was I so glad to hear that our brothers made it out ok, You can replace buildings and equipement ,but you can't replace family .Embarrissing NO ,Miracle thes men made it out ,YES !
  • by Chief Frederick Location: Louisville on Sep 19, 2007 at 09:37 AM
    The loss of a firehouse is a reality check for those courageous men and women. It will ultimately prove to be a positive event by unfortunately demonstrating the great loss that the civilians often go through. These HEROS will have a greater understanding of loss and hardship. This will allow them to be a better department in the end. The embarrassing comment by the reporter is a clear demonstration of ignorance. It is a godsend that the fire service did not lose three more brothers that night. With an average loss of one hundred brothers and sisters a year we must count or blessing and remember how close we walk the line. I don’t see this and an embarrassing incident, but as a blessing, an education, an opportunity to grow. Be safe Montgomery County, Chief Gregory Frederick Louisville Fire Department.
  • by James Location: Mt. Sterling on Sep 19, 2007 at 09:08 AM
    It is a shame that the fire station got more coverage than the house fire that they put out before hand. At least they can fix the fire station; the house was completely destroyed and they had a hard time putting it out because of the lack of fire hydrants in the neighborhood. Something really needs to be done to get more fire hydrants into the subdivisions in Mt. Sterling. The fire department said they didn't realize how many homes were back in the subdivision. There are a lot and they are building new ones every day. But they are not putting in fire hydrants; which they should be. It could be any other the houses that caught on fire. I heard on the news that a lot of houses were catching on fire due to power surges. This also seems to be a problem in the subdivision. I think that if the news would help that maybe this could be changed. I hope so, it was horrible what happened and it would be horrible if it happened again. God bless the family how's house burnt.
  • by Jerry Location: Montgomery on Sep 19, 2007 at 06:03 AM
    No its not embarrassing!! It hurts, that is our home away from home!! and that is coming from one of the guys that woke up to there home on fire!! It is no different than any other home, it happen's. It is just a Miracle that we made it out alive!! It is a fire station not fire proof!! I just want to thank everyone that came out that morning to help us!!
  • by Daniel on Sep 18, 2007 at 07:01 AM
    I agree with Mel. Why would this be embarrassing?? I'd believe that firehouses are just like any other house, but with a bigger garage. It's just a miracle that they weren't injured.
  • by Mel on Sep 17, 2007 at 03:24 PM
    It is not embarrassing as Jerry snder has said, It is dangerous. It is no different than any other structure fire. Electrical malfunctions can happen in any building. Why not a firehouse as well?

WKYT

2851 Winchester Rd. Lexington, Ky 40509 859-299-0411 - switchboard 859-299-2727 - newsroom
Register for Email
RSS Feeds
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 9828222 - wkyt.com/a?a=9828222
Gray Television, Inc.