WKYT | Lexington, Kentucky | News

Elmo left behind on 'Sesame Street' as actor exits

NEW YORK (AP) - Sesame Street's beloved Elmo character will continue despite the resignation of the puppeteer behind the character following sexual abuse allegations.

Fifty-two-year-old Kevin Clash resigned Tuesday after a young man sued him and accused him of engaging in sexual behavior with him when he was 15.

Clash did not address the allegations directly but said in a statement that he is "looking forward to resolving these personal matters privately."

Sesame Workshop says other puppeteers have been trained to serve as Clash's stand-in. The company said last week that "Elmo is bigger than any one person."

Toy company Hasbro says it is confident that "Elmo will remain an integral part of Sesame Street."


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus

WKYT

2851 Winchester Rd. Lexington, Ky 40509 859-299-0411 - switchboard 859-299-2727 - newsroom
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 180336961 - wkyt.com/a?a=180336961