PULASKI COUNTY, Ky. (WKYT) - Relatives say Brian Ping was lucky to get out alive when he saw something explode in his fireplace about 8 o’clock Tuesday morning.
“My heart goes out to the family, the Ping boy, I know the family. Sad time this time of the year,” said neighbor Ronald Larkin.
Larkin has lived in this part of Pulaski County for more than 50 years and he’s seen his neighbors step up to help each other through similar tragedies.
“Knowing the family, they (the community) will donate, take up collections, find out what the need is. And try to help in some way or another,” he said.
Ping’s family says he escaped with only the clothes on his back and suffered a burned arm and leg. Firefighters aren’t sure how it started.
“The dispatch, original call says it was coming out of the fireplace,” said Woodstock Fire Dept. Lt. Russell Owens.
Ping was able to pull vehicles and a boat away from the flames but everything else was lost.
“This time of the year it is very sad. Sad any time but coming so close to Christmas. Terrible to lose your home and everything you got,” said Larkin.
Relatives say they feel for Ping but also his boys who lost many of their possessions.