WKYT | Lexington, Kentucky | News

Ky. labor officials warn of carbon monoxide risks

FRANKFORT, Ky. (AP) - Kentucky labor officials are warning that wintry weather can increase the chance of carbon monoxide poisoning in the workplace.

The Kentucky Labor Cabinet says the risk can come from fuel-burning equipment or tools used in buildings or in semi-enclosed spaces without ventilation. In those cases, the cabinet says workers can become ill or even die from carbon monoxide poisoning.

State Labor Cabinet Secretary Larry Roberts says carbon monoxide is so dangerous because it doesn't have an odor or a taste. He says it becomes an increased hazard when workplaces shut windows and doors to keep out the cold weather.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reports that each year, carbon monoxide poisoning is responsible for about 450 unintentional deaths in the U.S. and more than 20,000 emergency department visits.

(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus

WKYT

2851 Winchester Rd. Lexington, Ky 40509 859-299-0411 - switchboard 859-299-2727 - newsroom
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 240251631