WKYT Investigates Top Stories
WKYT Investigates Headlines
WKYT Investigates | US Attorney wants overdose deaths handled as criminal investigations
- "Our coroners are a key piece of this puzzle," said U.S. Attorney Kerry Harvey. Harvey and his team have been meeting with coroners and other county officials this summer, in hopes of forming coalitions with counties to treat overdose deaths as crime scenes. "The victims of these drug trafficking offenses deserve justice," Harvey said.
WKYT Investigates | Fentanyl outpaces heroin in Fayette's overdose deaths
- According to the Fayette County coroner, Fentanyl is 80 and 100 times more potent than morphine and fifteen to twenty times stronger than heroin. "We have more Fentanyl deaths now than we have heroin deaths," Gary Ginn said.
WKYT Investigates | Authorities say Suboxone could be Kentucky's next epidemic
- Doctors say Suboxone, a treatment drug prescribed to help people with opiate addictions, is highly effective if used correctly. However, some law enforcement agencies in Kentucky think Suboxone is being abused at a rate not seen since the Oxycontin pill mills of years past.
WKYT Investigates | Property taxes to increase for 69 Lexington 'eyesores'
- This fall, 69 Lexington homeowners will see an increase in their property tax. The properties are on the final list generated by the vacant property review commission to help rid the city of eyesores.
WKYT Investigates | Some Kentucky animal shelters don't meet state standards
- In 2004, the state passed a law that set minimum standards for animal shelters, but it's not clear how many shelters are in compliance with the law, University of Kentucky Professor Cynthia Gaskill said.
WKYT Investigates | ‘Neighbors are lied to’ about Blackburn inmate escapes
- Prisons are designed to keep inmates in but some inmates at Blackburn Correctional Complex have been walking right out.
Already this year, the prison in the northwest part of Fayette County has had as many escapes in 6 months as they typically count in 12 months.
WKYT Investigates | Food truck inspections create challenges
- The explosion of food truck vendors in Lexington is overwhelming health department inspectors.
WKYT Investigates: Justice for Jonathan, Grandmother speaks after fatal school bus accident
- McMahan said she doesn't blame the bus driver, but does question a driver's ability to see what's going on at the bottom of the bus steps. She said, "There's either not a mirror that sees there to notice that kids are there or perhaps there should be a camera monitoring that area."
State education commissioner frustrated with Fayette County public schools
- A diagnostic report for Fayette County Schools was presented to the district this spring. It was the second diagnostic in as many years.
WKYT Investigates | Does crime in Lexington increase in the summer?
- A WKYT investigation into summer crime in Lexington found that crime tends to rise with temperatures each year. Police say they are using summer specific strategies to take the heat off summer crime.
More WKYT Investigates Headlines