WKYT | Lexington, Kentucky | News

Arizona fugitive and fiancee arrested at campsite

PHOENIX (AP) - An unattended campfire and a suspicious forest
ranger led to the arrest of two of the most wanted fugitives in the
U.S., ending a three-week nationwide manhunt that drew hundreds of
false sightings, authorities said.

John McCluskey fled July 30 with two other inmates from a
private prison in northwest Arizona and evaded authorities in at
least six states before being caught Thursday evening just 300
miles east of the prison.

Authorities arrested McCluskey, 45, and his alleged accomplice
Casslyn Welch, 44, at a campsite in the Apache-Sitgreaves National
Forest in eastern Arizona.

Welch, who is McCluskey's fiancee and cousin, reached for a
weapon but dropped it when she realized she was outgunned by a
swarming SWAT team, said David Gonzales, U.S. marshal for Arizona.

Officers apprehended McCluskey without incident after finding
him lying in a sleeping bag outside a tent. He told authorities he
had a gun in his tent and would have shot them if he had been able
to reach for it.

It was a peaceful close to a manhunt that authorities had said
was likely to end in a bloody shootout between officers and
desperate outlaws who fancied themselves as a modern-day Bonnie and Clyde.

"The nightmare that began July 30 is finally over," Gonzales

The fugitives' ruse began to crumble about 4 p.m. Thursday when
a U.S. Forest Service ranger investigated what appeared to be an
unattended campfire, Gonzales said. He found a silver Nissan Sentra
backed suspiciously into the trees as if someone were trying to
hide it.

The ranger had a brief conversation with McCluskey, who appeared
nervous and fidgety. A SWAT team and surveillance unit surrounded
the campsite and swarmed on the fugitives, Gonzales said.

McCluskey told officers he wishes he would have shot the forest
ranger when he had the opportunity, authorities said.

McCluskey and Welch were being held in the Apache County Jail in
St. Johns.

A photo released by authorities showed McCluskey wearing dirty
blue jeans and no shirt with an "Arizona" tattoo across his

"I hope the citizens of Arizona and the nation can rest easier
this evening," said state Corrections Department Director Charles

Authorities will spend Friday combing the campsite looking for
any evidence that could link the fugitives to other crimes during
their time on the lam.

Gonzales said investigators looked into 700 tips from nearly
every state in a manhunt that had officers swarming into small
towns from Montana to Arkansas. Authorities said the trail had gone
cold since McCluskey and Welch were last seen Aug. 6 in Billings,

It's unclear how long they were in Arizona, but Gonzales said
authorities suspected they might return to the state they know

Corrections officials have said that Welch helped McCluskey and
fellow inmates Tracy Province and Daniel Renwick escape from the
private prison near Kingman by cutting through a security fence.

Renwick was recaptured in Rifle, Colo., on Aug. 1, and Province
was found in Meeteetse, Wyo., on Aug. 9.

Renwick and Province were serving time for murder. McCluskey was
serving a 15-year prison term for attempted second-degree murder,
aggravated assault and discharge of a firearm.

Province, McCluskey and Welch have been linked to the slayings
of Greg and Linda Haas of Tecumseh, Okla., whose burned bodies were found in a travel trailer Aug. 4 on a remote ranch near Santa Rosa, N.M. They had been traveling to Colorado on an annual camping trip.

Officials said the stolen car found Thursday at the Arizona
campsite had New Mexico license plates stolen around the time the
Haases were killed.

"That's the best news we've had in 10 days. Everybody just
broke down and cried for a little bit," Sheila Walker, one of the
Haases' best friends, told The Associated Press late Thursday.
"That was the one thing we wanted to hear."

The family was grateful that their prayers had been answered and
that no one else was hurt during the hunt for the fugitive and his

"That was one of our main fears, that they would get desperate
and someone else would get hurt," Walker said. "We are just
thrilled they are back behind bars."

The arrests came hours after officials discussed a report that
outlined a series of embarrassing security breakdowns that allowed
the escape.

The prison has a badly defective alarm system, a perimeter post
was unstaffed, an outside dormitory door had been propped open with
a rock and the alarms went off so often that prison personnel often
just ignored them, the report said. Also, operational practices
often led to a gap of 15 minutes or longer during shift changes
along the perimeter fence, Ryan said.

Prison staff told a review team that the dormitory door was left
open because of the heavy amount of foot traffic. That open door
allowed the three inmates to reach a 10-foot chain-linked fence
that hadn't been topped with razor wire. They scaled that fence and
hid out for a time behind a building in an area that isn't visible
to staff from the yard.

Using wire cutters, which Welch tossed into the prison yard
shortly before the 9 p.m. shift change, the inmates cut a
30-by-22-inch hole and held the fence back with a dog leash.

(Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus


2851 Winchester Rd. Lexington, Ky 40509 859-299-0411 - switchboard 859-299-2727 - newsroom
Register for Email
RSS Feeds
Copyright © 2002-2015 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 101153479 - wkyt.com/a?a=101153479
Gray Television, Inc.