WKYT | Lexington, Kentucky | News

Chicago lottery winner dies from cyanide poisoning

CHICAGO (AP) - A Chicago man who died of cyanide poisoning just as he was about to collect $425,000 in lottery winnings had promised himself he wouldn't gamble anymore.

Ashur Oshana, a clerk at a 7-Eleven on Chicago's North Side, sold Urooj Khan two scratch-off tickets in June.

Oshana said Khan had been on hajj, a Muslim pilgrimage. Oshana said when Khan returned, he said he wanted to lead a better life and not gamble. But Khan bought the tickets anyway.

Oshana says Khan grabbed his hand and kissed it when he saw he won a $1 million prize.

Khan died in July. His death was recently ruled a homicide after a relative asked for an expanded investigation.

Oshana said he was shocked to hear that someone may have killed Khan.

(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus

WKYT

2851 Winchester Rd. Lexington, Ky 40509 859-299-0411 - switchboard 859-299-2727 - newsroom
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 185966741 - wkyt.com/a?a=185966741