BAGHDAD (AP) - A U.S. military spokesman in Iraq says attacks
have dropped to their lowest levels since August 2003.
Maj. Gen. David Perkins told reporters Wednesday in Baghdad that
the decrease in attacks comes as the U.S. downsizes its operation
and Iraqi security forces increase their presence.
President Barack Obama has announced the withdrawal of combat
troops from Iraq by the end of August 2010, leaving up to 50,000
U.S. soldiers to train Iraqi forces. Currently there are more than
135,000 American troops in Iraq.
Perkins says attacks have decreased from 130 a day last year to
10 attacks a day this year.
He also says since the height of the U.S. troop surge in 2007,
attacks against civilians have decreased by 90 percent.