STARKVILLE, Miss. (AP) - Investigators are trying to figure out what sparked a Mississippi apartment fire that killed nine people, including six children.
Neighbors say the rundown building had electrical problems, but the local fire chief says a recent inspection by a private company found no problems.
Officials and neighbors say the family - two cousins, their six children and a family friend - had nowhere else to go.
Latasha Brown, who lives downstairs, said she never heard smoke detectors. She says a neighbor banged on her door to get her and her two children out.
Brown says, "It was horrifying. I've never seen anything like it in my life."