WKYT | Lexington, Kentucky | News

12 condos destroyed in Gatlinburg fire

GATLINBURG, TN. (WKYT) -- Firefighters think a microwave may have sparked a fire that destroyed twelve condos in the Smoky Mountains.

Witnesses say flames and smoke from the fire could be seen for miles around Gatlinburg Wednesday morning.

No one was injured in the fire at the Gatlinburg Summit Condos.

But one woman says her family lost everything they brought for vacation, including money and credit cards.

"Pretty much stuck here. We have nothing. We can't even go grab a meal, we have no shoes We don't know what to do. We're just waiting for someone to tell us what to do I guess," said Jill Gmbeck.

The Red Cross is helping victims of this fire.

Firefighters say the fire started in a ground floor condo where a man was making breakfast in a microwave.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus

WKYT

2851 Winchester Rd. Lexington, Ky 40509 859-299-0411 - switchboard 859-299-2727 - newsroom
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 255588671 - wkyt.com/a?a=255588671