Couple jumps from balcony to escape Lexington fire

By: Whitney Wetzel Email
By: Whitney Wetzel Email

LEXINGTON, Ky. (WKYT) - Officials say smoke detectors are responsible for waking up residents during an early morning fire.

Fire officials say it started in the engine compartment of a hybrid car that was parked in front of an apartment. From there, it spread up the side of the building.

Fire investigators were back on scene Tuesday morning taking a look at the damage. The fire started around 12:30 a.m. at the Grand Reserve apartments on Clearwater Way.

Fire officials say a couple that lives in the unit close to where the fire started wasn't able to get out of their front door because of the flames. A man inside jumped out of his second floor balcony and then moved his car below it to help a woman get out safe. She jumped down onto the car just as crews got there.

Officials say a quick response allowed crews to get control of the fire and contain most of the damage to the outside of the building.

“Smoke detectors save your life by the simple fact that they wake you up," says Major William Saunooke, Lexington Fire Department. "When you're asleep you potentially lose a lot of your ability to smell. You're sense of smell is greatly diminished, if not lost all together.”

A total of 11 units were damaged in the fire. The manager of the complex says those residents were placed into a hotel for the rest of the night.

Fire officials say this is the second fire at the Grand Reserve Apartments this year.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus


2851 Winchester Rd. Lexington, Ky 40509 859-299-0411 - switchboard 859-299-2727 - newsroom
Register for Email
RSS Feeds
Copyright © 2002-2015 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 233437691 -
Gray Television, Inc.