Strong and severe thunderstorms will be possible late tonight. We'll be tracking strong winds, large hail and even a risk of isolated tornadoes.
DANVILLE, Ky. (WKYT) - Firefighters say a family in Danville had to evacuate their home early Thursday morning after a fire started in the kitchen.
12-year-old Jaxxyn Wood told WKYT's Whitney Wetzel that around 3:30 on Thursday morning, he was playing video games on the first floor of the house when he "smelled something really bad, like Legos on fire."
Jaxxyn said he saw smoke in the hallway when he went to see what the smell was, so he ducked down and covered his face to help him breathe. That's when he spotted a fire on the ice machine in the kitchen.
"I grabbed a plastic cup of water and put it out as much as I could, and then I went and got everybody," he said.
Jaxxyn said he went upstairs and woke up his sisters. They helped him wake up everyone else in the house and get them outside safely. A total of nine people were inside the home when the fire started. Jaxxyn was the only one awake.
His family praised Jaxxyn's quick actions; they're calling him a hero. "I'm just thanking God," he said.
Jaxxyn said he learned what to do in emergencies like this at school.
"A fireman came to our school and he said if there's ever a fire there's most likely gonna be smoke in the air," he said. "So you want to duck down and get everyone you can and get out."
Firefighters said the fire spread to the kitchen and dining areas on the first floor of the house, but they were able to contain it there and put it out. They said the second and third stories were heavily damaged by smoke.
Investigators said there were no working smoke detectors inside the home. Firefighters in Danville stress the importance of having smoke detectors. They said they give out free smoke detectors to anyone who lives in Boyle County. Firefighters will even come to your home and install them.