LEXINGTON, Ky. (WKYT) - Lexington firefighters had to battle a large house fire.
The home on Winthrop Drive caught fire around 6:30 Thursday morning. When firefighters arrived, flames covered the back of the home and were also shooting through the roof.
"I was raising my garage door to take my kids to school and the neighborhood was full of smoke," said Melissa Jones.
Jones called 911, and shortly after, saw the flames coming out of the home two doors down from hers.
"They were able to get ahold of it. They had a lot of fire to deal with when they first got here. We're just fortunate it didn't damage the houses on either side of this one," said Lexington Fire Batt. Chief Mark Blakenship.
The family of six that were inside all made it out safely, and waited nearby while firefighters put out the flames.
Fire investigators talked with the husband and father of four to find out what might have caused the fire.
"We determined that a wood burning stove, it was either improperly installed or there was a design problem with that. And it traveled up the fireplace box in the back of the house. And that allowed fire to get on both floors and the attic," said Batt. Chief Blakenship.
"It went bad very fast. So yeah, it's just important to keep an eye on your neighbors and be concerned for who's around you," added Jones.
The homeowner says he and his family were woken up by the heavy smoke in the home.
He added they are staying with family nearby for the time being.