Man loses home in Powell County fire

POWELL COUNTY, Ky. (WKYT) - A Powell County man is without a home after it was destroyed by a fire overnight Sunday.

Firefighters were called to the home on Pompeii Road around midnight.

"I woke up and the fire alarms were going off," says Glen Maynard, who woke up to find his house on fire. "Smoke filled the house. I just tried to make my way outside."

Maynard woke up around midnight to find his house filled with smoke, and soon, up in flames. He was only able to put on shoes and get out of the house, leaving him to make some quick decisions.

"The first thing was to try and roll a vehicle away from the house," Maynard says. "The second thing was to run to my neighbors house. He lives about a mile from here. I knew the faster we could get there and the faster we could get back the more we could save, or that was the thought. But unfortunately we didn't have water for the fire trucks."

Firefighters say they had a very hard time getting water to the home, which made it close to impossible to save anything. Maynard, now left with his two cars and three dogs, is unsure of what's next.

"I don't know," he says. "I guess find a place to stay for right now and buy some clothes.

Maynard says he's not sure if he will rebuilt on this property, but he did have insurance on the home.

Firefighters believe the fire started on the front porch where the homeowner told them an electrical outlet had shorted out in the past.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus

WKYT

2851 Winchester Rd. Lexington, Ky 40509 859-299-0411 - switchboard 859-299-2727 - newsroom
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 241079661 - wkyt.com/a?a=241079661
Gray Television, Inc.