PARIS, Ky. (WKYT) - The strong and sometimes dangerous chemical known as nitric acid is what officials say caused a fire at a business in Bourbon County on Sunday.
On Sunday, it took firefighters several hours to clean up the aftermath of a chemical fire that happened at Avantor Performance Materials on Martin Luther King Junior Boulevard in Paris.
It was just before 8:00 Sunday morning when a fire was reported in the manufacturing facility's warehouse area.
The plant's fire alarm system was set off and thankfully the fire was extinguished by the on-site sprinkler system.
At this time, employees tell us the fire was caused when a leaking container of nitric acid ignited inside of the case it was being stored in.
Nitric acid is just one of many potentially dangerous chemicals held at the plant which is why company officials say they are putting appropriate safeguards in place to prevent a similar incident from happening in the future.
Company leaders tell us that no employees were hurt in the fire.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or email@example.com.