Courtesy: Calvary Baptist Church
DEPOY, Ky. (WKYT) - Kentucky State Police say the nine victims of a devastating fire in Muhlenberg county all died of smoke inhalation.
Autopsies 35-year-old LaRae "Nikki" Watson and eight of her children were conducted on Friday. All nine died after a fire in their Depoy home. They were all found in the master bedroom of the home.
Only the father, 36-year-old Chad Watson and an 11-year-old daughter, Kylie Watson, survived. Both are listed in critical condition at Vanderbilt hospital in Nashville. Nurses say Kylie is showing signs of improvement, and is even speaking to nurses. Her father, Chad, is also showing signs of progress.
The small community where the family lived is still in shock over the loss. The five youngest Watson children, 4-year old twins Mark and Nathaniel, 6-year old Raegan, 8-year old Samuel, and 9-year old Emily, were all students at Longest elementary School. The flags outside are at half-staff in remembrance of them.
Administrators said Thursday was unimaginably hard. On Friday, the school provided counselors for the childrens' fellow students, as well as the teachers, as they try to cope with the loss of the students.
"We as school teachers and administrators, working with the youth, we're in the position of parents a lot of times during the day. These children become part of our family. And so it's definitely a loss for us and this community," said Principal Brent Hardison.
Administrators said the two survivors of the Watson family are showing signs of improvement. They are recovering in the Vanderbilt University Medical Center.
Friday a small memorial was erected in front of the Watson's home, with a flower for each of the children who died inside.
The Watsons' church, Calvary Baptist over in Central City plans to hold a vigil Friday evening in remembrance of the family members. It's schedule for 7CT, 8 ET.