Tyson Gay Resting, Readying For Beijing

Sprinter Tyson Gay is in Germany,
resting, relaxing and getting ready for his next race - almost
exactly like he planned before getting injured at the U.S. Olympic
Gay sprained a muscle in the back of his left leg in a 200-meter
qualifying race, a tumble that forced him to be carted off the
track and ended his chances of winning two individual gold medals
in Beijing.
"He's fine," his coach, Jon Drummond, said Tuesday. "He's
walking normal. There's nothing to really be overly concerned
about. I feel there's no reason why he won't be 100 percent at the
Gay will run in the 100 and the 400-meter relay in Beijing.
Before he was hurt, Gay already had qualified for the 100,
running a wind-aided time of 9.68, the fastest ever. He also set
the American record of 9.77 in a quarterfinal. But as the reigning
world champion in the 100 and 200, he was aiming to sweep
sprinting's glory events on the biggest stage of all.
Now, he's focused on his rehab.
Drummond said Gay still plans to race in London on July 25. The
only change is he's already in Europe getting acclimated to the
time change and working with doctors on his rehabilitation.
Gay headed overseas early to get in four extra days of "active
recovery" - as opposed to the lounging-around rest he would have
needed had he run two more grueling heats in the 200.
"That's the part I'm trying to get out there: It didn't matter
if he'd fallen or not. He was going to get 10 days of active
recovery anyway," Drummond said. "So we've just extended the 10
days to 14.
"The muscle is 100 percent by then, and everything else is back
to business. We're taking every necessary precaution, treating it
like it is something serious, because the body needs that. You've
got to pamper it sometimes. I've told him to go home and get your
feet up, get the rubdowns."
Drummond laughed, adding his only concern is Gay might be
pampering himself with too many visits to fast-food restaurants.
"You can go once, maybe twice," Drummond said. "But not every