CINCINNATI (AP) - Jerri Taylor scored a season-high 18 points
Tuesday night, leading No. 23 Xavier to a 67-44 win over Kentucky
that gave Kevin McGuff the career victory record for a Musketeers
Xavier (6-2) has won six of its seven games against the Wildcats
(4-2), who couldn't overcome cold starts to both halves.
McGuff improved to 136-61 in his seven seasons, moving one
victory ahead of Melanie Balcomb's mark.
Kentucky went 11 minutes, 25 seconds without a field goal during
a stretch of the first half, missing 15 consecutive shots while
Xavier pulled ahead 36-11. The Wildcats opened the game in a
3-for-25 shooting funk with 11 turnovers.
Kentucky got the deficit down to 15 by halftime, but opened the
second half in an 0-for-7 shooting slump with five turnovers,
helping Xavier pull ahead by 30. Kentucky shot a season-low 21
percent from the field.
Team Records and Series Notes
* UK falls to 4-2 while Xavier improves to 6-2 overall.
* UK is now 1-6 against Xavier in the all-time series, including 0-3 when playing in Cincinnati.
* Tonight was UK’s first matchup against a ranked opponent this season. The Cats are now 43-178 all-time vs. ranked teams, 0-2 when playing a ranked Xavier squad.
* The Wildcats travel to Bowling Green, Ky., Thursday, Dec. 4 to face intrastate rival Western Kentucky at 8 p.m. EST in E.A. Diddle Arena.
Team Game Notes
* The starting lineup of Carly Ormerod, Eleia Roddy, Amber Smith, Amani Franklin and Victoria Dunlap is 0-2 this season.
* Key run: Xavier used a 16-0 run mid-way through the first half to take a 36-21 halftime lead. The Musketeers opened up the second half on a 9-0 run and never looked back.
* UK hit five three-pointers in the game (5-of-21) and has now hit at least one trey in 159 consecutive games.
* Both teams pulled down 43 rebounds. UK has either won or tied the rebounding battle in all but one game this season (vs. Michigan).
* Kentucky shot a season-low 21.0 percent from the field (13-of-62). The last time the Cats shot below 30 percent was in their last game against Long Island on Nov. 29 (27.8 percent).
Individual Game Notes
* Junior Amani Franklin led UK 13 points, the only Wildcat to score in double-digits. It was her third game this season with double-figures.
* Senior Eleia Roddy and sophomore Victoria Dunlap led the efforts on the boards with nine each. Roddy also swatted a season-best two blocks in the game.
* Senior Carly Ormerod hit one three-pointer in the game, giving her 94 career three-pointers. She needs four more to move up to No. 9 with Christina Jansen.
Junior Brittany Edelen hit her first career three-pointer in the second half.