Cats Fall at Vandy 77-64

Jermaine Beal and Lance Goulbourne each
scored 17 points as Vanderbilt routed Kentucky 77-64 Tuesday night,
handing the Wildcats their fourth loss in six games.
Kentucky (18-8, 7-4) came in part of a three-way tie atop the
Southeastern Conference's Eastern Division with two straight wins.
But the Wildcats played a second straight game without sophomore
center Patrick Patterson because of a sprained ankle, and his
teammates didn't give enough help to Jodie Meeks, the nation's
fourth-leading scorer averaging 25.8 points a game.
Meeks scored 26. A.J. Stewart added 11 off the bench before
fouling out.
Vanderbilt (16-9, 5-6) now has won four of its last five. This
series dominated for so long by Kentucky now has swung Vandy's way
with six wins in eight games against the Wildcats, including four
straight in Memorial Gym.
Commodores center A.J. Ogilvy missed Kentucky's 70-60 win over
Vanderbilt in the SEC opener for both teams on Jan. 10 because of
plantar fasciitis. He compensated by scoring 15 points. Jeffery
Taylor added 14.
The Commodores took control of a game tied at 30 at halftime by
scoring the first nine points of the second half. Kentucky got
within 45-41 on a pair of Stewart free throws with 12:40 left.
Goulbourne hit a 3-pointer, and he later gave the Commodores their
biggest lead at 60-44 with a 3 from the right corner that brought a
huge roar from the sellout crowd.
Kentucky could only close within nine down the stretch three
times, the last on a Meeks 3. Beal answered with two free throws
with 2:53 left to push the lead back to double digits, sealing the
victory. Beal was a perfect 10-of-10 at the line where Vandy was
Vandy shot poorly in the first half but went to halftime tied at
30 after hitting 15 of 18 at the free throw line. It was a physical
and messy first half in which the score was tied seven times and
swapped six others.
The Commodores led 16-10 when Beal sunk a pair of free throws
after referee Tony Greene called a technical on Kentucky coach
Billy Gillispie before a free throw attempt with 12:07 to go.
That only sparked the Wildcats, who went on a 14-2 spurt. The
run was capped by a pair of free throws by Meeks after a technical
on Ogilvy for a forearm to DeAndre Liggins as he drove into the
lane. Ogilvy answered with four straight free throws to tie it
again at 24.