Tebow released from hospital, headed home

Florida quarterback Tim Tebow was out
of the hospital and on his way home Sunday, about 12 hours after
sustaining a concussion during the team's 41-7 victory at Kentucky.
Tebow was released from the University Medical Center in
Lexington, Ky., Sunday morning. He was held for precautionary
reasons. Coach Urban Meyer spent the night in hospital with Tebow.
"Tim is doing fine this morning," Meyer said. "His CT scans
came back and indicated that Tim suffered a concussion. Our medical
and athletic training staff will continue to monitor him to
determine how much rest and recovery he needs. We will have
additional information and updates this week."
Tebow was expected back in Florida later Sunday.
The top-ranked Gators (4-0) are off next week, then play at LSU
on Oct. 10. It might be several days, maybe even longer, before
Tebow's status becomes clearer for what could be the toughest game
on the defending national champions' schedule.
It would be even tougher without Tebow, the 2007 Heisman Trophy
winner and the heart and soul of the Gators.
But his release surely was welcome news for Florida fans who
watched Tebow lay motionless on the field at Commonwealth Stadium.
"Everyone is concerned about Tim, and our thoughts and our
prayers are with him and his family," said associate head coach
and defensive coordinator Charlie Strong, who filled in for Meyer
on the head coach's television show Sunday.
The Gators were leading 31-7 in the third quarter and were
driving deep in Kentucky territory when defensive end Taylor
Wyndham came unblocked off the right end and sacked Tebow. As Tebow
fell backward, his helmet struck teammate Marcus Gilbert's leg,
violently bending his neck forward.
Teammates and trainers rushed to Tebow's side, but several
minutes passed before the quarterback sat up with help and then
slowly made his way off the field. Florida's medical staff attended
to him on the bench, and his parents came down from the stands to
join him.
He started vomiting - a common symptom of concussions - and was
carted off the field. About a dozen Gators fans showed up at the
hospital after the game, standing outside in the rain and wishing
the best for Tebow.
The injury ended what had been another impressive performance
from the senior. He ran for 123 yards and two touchdowns, and threw
for 103 yards and a score - numbers that seemed unimportant the
second he hit the turf.
Oddly, his day began with questions about his health.
Tebow was one of several Gators who took a separate plane to
Lexington because of respiratory and congestion issues, leading to
speculation he wouldn't play.
If Tebow wasn't feeling well, it didn't show. He walked off the
field following pregame warmups trading head slaps with teammate
Brandon Spikes and nearly sprinted into the huddle on Florida's
first possession.
The Gators scored 31 points in the first quarter and had the
game in hand when Tebow got hit in the third quarter.
Meyer probably will face questions about why he still had his
superstar on the field in a lopsided game, especially considering
Tebow had missed two days of practice because of a respiratory
But the Gators sputtered in the second quarter against Kentucky
and struggled in the passing game last week against Tennessee.
And pulling Tebow is always tough because he wants to play every
down. Typically, the bruising 245-pound quarterback jumps to his
feet after big hits - some even harder than Wyndham's sack.
"He's a tough nut," Meyer said after the game. "We think he's
going to be fine."
Added linebacker Brandon Spikes: "I'm pretty sure he's going to
get himself together."