More allegations surface against Gillispie

Lexington, KY (WKYT) - Former Kentucky coach Billy Gillispie remains hospitalized in Lubbock, Texas as more allegations surfaced Tuesday night about his mistreatment of players, coaches and others in the Texas Tech basketball program.

Jeff Goodman of quotes sources close to the program as saying Gillispie reneged on several promises to coaches, kept players in scholarship limbo, causing them to miss opportunities and money, and also practiced injured players so severely that they openly wept in practice.

Goodman said calls to Gillispie and Texas Tech athletic director Kirby Hocutt have not been returned. According to a hospital spokesperson at the University Medical Center, Gillispie remained a patient as of Tuesday night.

Goodman reported 15 players have already left the program prematurely since he took over in March of 2011, with the most recent being highly regarded recruit Wannah Bail, a native of the Bahamas who didn't return after the first summer school session.

"It was because of Gillispie," a source close to the program said. "He couldn't deal with him."

Goodman's report detailed several departures from Lubbock with Bail just one of approximately 30 bodies that have turned over since Gillispie got the job. The list includes secretary Leslie Hartline, assistant coach Chris Beard, trainer John Murray, video coordinator Jason Imes, graduate assistants Sean McCurdy and Colby Huseman, student manager Cooper Schmidt and academic advisor Marlon Dechausay. Gillispie has gone through a pair of strength coaches already and two directors of basketball operations.

Goodman also quoted a source as saying African native Kader Tapsoba was mistreated. Kader did not play last season while dealing with multiple stress fractures.

"He was literally crying at practice," said the source, who was with the program last season. "He couldn't even run and Gillispie had him running up and down the steps at the arena. I remember the doctor getting the X-rays back and coming to practice and telling Gillispie it was really bad. He'd just ice him up and tell him to go practice."

"He shouldn't have been practicing," he added. "But he bullied everyone, including the trainer. He'd make the trainer make kids come back. Bodies were dropping like flies. One day I walked in and the whole team was in the training room. All the players and even the managers. He'd make them practice."