COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) - South Carolina quarterback Connor Shaw
threw for 311 yards and four touchdowns leading No. 18 South
Carolina to a 54-3 win over Kentucky on Saturday.
Shaw, a sophomore who took over as starter this week from
fifth-year senior Stephen Garcia, completed 26 of 39 passes and had
The Gamecocks (5-1, 3-1 Southeastern Conference) gained 639
yards in their biggest win in an SEC game since joining the league
South Carolina coach Steve Spurrier took advantage of Kentucky's
bad defense to tinker with his own sputtering offense. He called
direct snaps to the running back, threw to the tight end and even
ran an option play. It all worked.
The Wildcats (2-4, 0-3) offense gained just 96 yards, and their
quarterbacks threw four interceptions and just four completions.
KENTUCKY POSTGAME NOTES
Kentucky at No. 18 /14 South Carolina
Oct. 8, 2011 * Brice-Williams Stadium, Columbia, S.C.
FINAL SCORE: No. 18/14 South Carolina 54, Kentucky 3
Team Records and Series Notes
• Kentucky is 2-4 overall, 0-3 in the Southeastern Conference. South Carolina is 5-1, 3-1 in SEC play.
• South Carolina leads the series 15-7-1, including 7-3-1 in Columbia.
• Kentucky is off next week but will host Jacksonville State on Saturday, Oct. 22.
UK Team Notes
• South Carolina won the toss and elected to receive.
• Kentucky played its third-consecutive ranked opponent today.
• The Wildcats scored on its opening possession for the third time this season. All three scores were field goals by Craig McIntosh.
• Kentucky’s defense had three sacks in the first half.
• 1st Quarter Summary
• SC- B.Ellington fumbled the KO Return recovered by Alvin Dupree at the SC26.
• UK-C.McIntosh made a 28-yard FG. UK 3, SC 0 (11:58)
• SC-C.Shaw completes a 46-yard pass to SC-R.Anderson to the UK20.
• SC-C.Shaw completes a 20-yard TD pass to A.Jeffery. SC 7, UK 3 (9:16)
• UK-J.Clemons HB pass was intercepted by SC-S.Gilmore returned to the SC6.
• UK-M.Newton pass intercepted by SC-V.Hampton returned to the SC27.
• SC-C.Shaw completes an 18-yard pass to SC-M.Lattimore to the SC45.
• 2nd Quarter Summary
• SC-D.Byrd rushes for 21 yards to the UK 34.
• SC-C.Shaw completes an 11-yard TD pass to SC-J.Cunningham. SC 13, UK 3 (11:23)
• SC-J.Wooten’s PAT blocked by UK-M.Roark.
• That was the seventh blocked kick of Roark’s career, tying Lonnell Dewalt for the school record. Roark’s blocks include six PATs and one field goal.
• SC-C.Shaw completes a 20-yard pass to SC-A.Jeffery to the SC41
• SC-C.Shaw completes a 24-yard TD pass to SC-A.Jeffery. SC 20, UK 3 (7:43)
• UK-R.Wilson sacked SC-C.Shaw for a loss of 6 yards to the UK47.
• UK-M.Douglas sacked SC-C.Shaw for a loss of 10 yards to the SC48.
• UK-M.Newton fumbled recovered by SC-D.Taylor at the UK23.
• UK-R.Wilson sacked SC-C.Shaw for a loss of 4 yards to the UK27.
• SC-J.Wooten missed a 44-yard FG attempt.
• 3rd Quarter Summary
• SC-C.Shaw completes a 25-yard TD pass to SC-N.Jones. SC 27, UK 3 (8:46)
• SC-J.Wooten made a 48-yard FG. SC 30, UK 3 (1:43)
• UK-M.Smith pass intercepted by SC-C.C. Whitlock returned to the UK28.
• SC-J.Wooten made a 42-yard FG. SC 33, UK 3 (0:00)
• 4th Quarter Summary
• UK-M.Smith in at QB.
• UK-M.Smith pass intercepted by SC-D.J.Swearinger returned to the UK48.
• SC-C.Shaw completes a 25-yard pass to SC-A.Sanders to UK10.
• SC-C.Shaw pass incomplete on 4th and 4 from the UK4. Turnover on downs.
• SC-B.Ellington rushes for a 61-yard TD. SC 40, UK 3 (10:34)
• UK-M.Newton in at QB.
• UK-J.George fumbled, recovered by SC-B.Jerideau at the UK 32.
• SC-A.Clifford in at QB
• SC-A.Clifford completes a 7-yard TD pass to SC-D.L.Moore. SC 47, UK 3 (7:00)
• UK-J.George rushes for 16 yards to the SC40.
• SC-D.Thompson in at QB.
• SC-D.Thompson rushes for an 8-yard TD. SC 54, UK 3 (0:08)
UK Individual Notes
• Junior QB Morgan Newton rushed for a career-high 54 yards on 14 carries.
• Sophomore RB Jonathon George had a career-long rush of 16 yards in the fourth quarter,
• Junior WR La’Rod King needs 65 yards to become the 22nd player in school history to reach 1,000 receiving yards in his career.
• Senior safety Winston Guy led UK with 14 tackles, including two tackles for a loss. It marked the fifth time this season and ninth time in his career he has had double-digit tackles.
• Linebacker Danny Trevathan, the SEC’s leading tackler, totaled 13 tackles and has double-digit tackles in 14 of the last 15 games, dating back to last season. Trevathan now has 303 career tackles becoming the 18th player in UK history to reach 300 tackles in his career.
• Senior CB Anthony Mosely totaled a career-high eight tackles for the game, including one tackle for a loss.
• Junior LB Ridge Wilson totaled a career-high two sacks in the first half.
• Freshman DE Mike Douglas earned his first career sack in the second quarter.
• Junior Safety Martavius Neloms totaled a career-high two pass breakups.
• Freshman LB Alvin Dupree’s fumble recovery on the opening kickoff was the first of his career.
• Senior Matt Roark’s PAT block in the second quarter was the seventh blocked kick of his career, tying Lonnell Dewalt for the UK career record. His blocks include six PATs and one field goal.
• UK punter Ryan Tydlacka punted nine times for an average of 44.2 per punt and Craig McIntosh made his only field goal attempt of 28 yards.
(Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)