LEXINGTON, Ky. (AP) - Mississippi State quarterbacks Tyler
Russell and Chris Relf combined for 264 yards and each passed for a
touchdown, and Relf ran for two touchdowns in the Bulldogs' 28-16
win over Kentucky on Saturday night.
Russell earned his second start of the season, and the two
alternated drives in the first quarter. As the game went on,
Russell took most of the snaps and Relf was brought in for running
The Bulldogs (4-4, 1-4 Southeastern Conference) committed three
turnovers, two of which were fumbles that Kentucky recovered inside
the Mississippi State 25-yard line. But the Wildcats were held to
field goals on both drives.
Kentucky (3-5, 0-4) quarterback Morgan Newton suffered a right
ankle sprain in the first quarter and did not return. Freshman
Maxwell Smith replaced him and finished 26 of 33 for 174 yards.
Running back Vick Ballard had 87 yards for the Bulldogs.
KENTUCKY POSTGAME NOTES
Mississippi State at Kentucky
Oct. 29, 2011 * Commonwealth Stadium, Lexington, Ky.
FINAL SCORE: Mississippi State 28, Kentucky 16
Team Records and Series Notes
• Kentucky is 3-5 overall, 0-4 in the Southeastern Conference. Mississippi State is 4-4, 1-4 in SEC play.
• Kentucky and Mississippi State met for the 39th time in school history. UK wore black uniforms for the first time in school history.
• Kentucky leads the all-time series 21-18 and is 12-7 against MSU in Lexington.
• Kentucky plays host to Ole Miss next Saturday, Nov. 5. The game will be televised by ESPNU at 3:30 p.m. ET.
UK Team Notes
• Mississippi State won the toss and deferred to the second half.
• This was the first loss for the Wildcats under Joker Phillips when Kentucky has won the turnover battle. UK is now 6-1 under Phillips in games that the Wildcats win the turnover margin.
• For the second consecutive game Kentucky won the time of possession battle against its opponent. Kentucky had a time of 37:00 in the game, while MSU had 23:00.
• Kentucky did not have a turnover in the game for the first time this season.
• The Wildcats’ defense held its opponent scoreless on its opening drive for the sixth time this season.
• The Kentucky defense forced three turnovers in the game, earning an interception and forcing two fumbles.
• UK completed a season-high 29 passes in the game for 189 yards, which is the second-highest passing yard total this season for the Wildcats.
• 1st Quarter Summary
• UK-M.Newton rush for 10 yards to the UK40. Newton injured on the play.
• UK-M.Smith in at QB.
• UK-R.Tydlacka (fake punt) rushed for 12 yards to the MSU44.
• UK-M.Newton back in at QB.
• MSU-V.Ballard fumbled, recovered by UK-C.Ukwu at the MSU21.
• UK-C.McIntosh made a 32-yard field goal. UK 3, MSU 0 (7:49)
• MSU-C.Relf completes a 26-yard pass to C.Bumphis to the UK49.
• MSU-C.Relf completes a 15-yard pass to R.Sanders to the UK31.
• MSU-C.Relf completes a 16-yard pass to M.Green to the UK15.
• MSU-C.Relf completes a 15-yard TD pass to R.Sanders. MSU 7, UK 3 (5:36)
• UK- M.Newton sacked by MSU-F.Cox for a loss of 3 yards to the UK37. Newton injured.
• UK-M.Smith in at QB. (3:28)
• UK- M.Smith sacked by MSU-F.Cox for a loss of 7 yards to the UK30.
• MSU-T.Russell completes a 40-yard pass to M.Carr to the UK12.
• MSU-C.Relf rushes for a 3-yard TD. MSU 14, UK 3 (0:00)
• 2nd Quarter Summary
• MSU-V.Ballard rushes 16 yards to the UK25.
• MSU-snap fumbled recovered by UK-R.Wilson at the MSU23.
• UK-C.McIntosh made a 22-yard field goal. MSU 14, UK 6 (8:32)
• MSU-T.Russell completes a 50-yard pass to MSU-M.Green to the UK12.
• MSU-C.Relf rushes for a 12-yard TD. MSU 21, UK 6 (7:02)
• MSU-J.Banks returns the punt 34 yards to the MSU40.
• MSU-C.Relf completes a 15-yard pass to MSU-M.Johnson at the UK18.
• MSU-C.Relf intercepted by UK-D.Trevathan at the UK2.
• It was Trevathan’s third interception this season and third of his career.
• 3rd Quarter Summary
• UK-M.Smith sacked by MSU-J.Banks for loss of 3 yards to the UK41.
• UK-M.Smith completes a 19-yard pass to UK-M.Roark to the MSU40.
• UK-C.McIntosh made a 35-yard field goal. MSU 21, UK 9 (8:13)
• MSU- T.Russell completes a 26-yard pass to MSU-A.Clark to the MSU46.
• MSU- T.Russell completes a 14-yard pass to MSU-M.Johnson to the UK40.
• MSU- T.Russell completes a 13-yard TD pass to MSU-M.Johnson. MSU 28, UK 9 (4:34)
• UK-M.Smith completes a 23-yard pass to UK-M.Roark to the MSU47.
• UK-M.Smith completes an 18-yard pass to UK-M.Roark to the MSU23.
• 4th Quarter Summary
• UK-M.Smith completes an 11-yard pass to UK-B.Adams to the MSU8.
• UK-J.George rushes for a 4-yard TD. MSU 28, UK 16 (13:50)
• UK-M.Smith completes an 11-yard pass to UK-J.George to the MSU33.
• UK-M.Smith sacked by MSU-J.Boyd for loss of 7 yards to the MSU18.
• UK-M. Smith throws incomplete on fourth and 7. Turnover on downs.
UK Individual Notes
• Freshman QB Maxwell Smith posted career highs, completing 26 of 33 passes for 174 yards, including a career-long pass completion of 23 yards.
• Senior WR Matt Roark totaled a career-high with both 13 catches and 116 receiving yards today. Roark’s 13 receptions rank second on UK’s all-time single-game list, tying Randall Cobb (vs. Tennessee, Nov. 27, 2010). Craig Yeast holds the school record with 16 catches vs. Vanderbilt on Nov. 14, 1998.
• Roark’s 116 receiving yards is the most for a Wildcat this season and the first time a UK wide receiver has eclipsed the 100-yard mark since La’Rod King earlier this season against Central Michigan.
• Junior TB Coshik Williams earned his first career start, leading UK in rushing with 15 carries for 64 yards.
• Sophomore TB Jonathan George rushed a career-high 15 times for 41 yards and a touchdown. His second consecutive game with a rushing TD.
• Senior LB Danny Trevathan, who ranks second in the SEC in tackles, tied a career-high with 17 tackles in the game. Trevathan has double-digit tackles in 15 of the last 17 games, dating back to last season.
• Trevathan’s 17 tackle performance moves him up to 17th on Kentucky’s all-time tackle list, passing Keith Martin (1980-83). Trevathan needs two tackles to tie Art Still (1974-77) for 16th all time.
• Trevathan earned an interception in the game, marking the second consecutive game he has recorded a pick. He becomes the first player to notch back-to-back games with picks since Winston Guy in 2010 against Auburn and South Carolina.
• Senior punter Ryan Tydlacka punted four times for an average of 47.2 yards per punt, pinning MSU within its own 10-yard line once.
• Junior placekicker Craig McIntosh made a career-high three field goals, including makes from 32, 22 and 35 yards. McIntosh has made nine of his last 10 field goals this season and 18 of his last 21 dating back to last year.
(Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
Enter your number for a chance to win great prizes!
Message and data rates may apply