LEXINGTON, Ky. – Seven Kentucky football players have been named to the All-Southeastern Conference team selected by Phil Steele's College Football.
Randall Cobb, the SEC's leading pass catcher, and linebacker Danny Trevathan, the SEC's leading tackler were named to the first team.
Senior wide receiver Chris Matthews and sophomore offensive guard Larry Warford were picked to the second team. Senior quarterback Mike Hartline, senior tailback Derrick Locke and junior safety Winston Guy were fourth-team selections.
Here is some information on each player:
* Cobb leads the SEC in pass receiving with 79 catches for 955 yards and seven touchdowns. As a quarterback in the WildCobb formation, he has rushed for 401 yards and five TDs, averaging 7.7 yards per carry, and has thrown three touchdown passes. He also has returned punts and kickoffs and ranks second in the nation in all-purpose yardage.
* Trevathan leads the league in tackles with 130 stops, including eight-consecutive games with double-figure tackles. He also has 16 tackles for loss and ranks third in the league in that category.
* Matthews is tied for the league lead in touchdown catches with nine. He has caught 57 passes for 897 yards, fifth in the league in each category.
* Warford has allowed only one quarterback sack this season and leads the team with 43 knockdown blocks.
* Hartline has completed 268 of 408 passes (66.2 percent) for 3,178 yards and 23 touchdowns. He ranks second in the SEC in passing yardage.
* Locke earned All-SEC honors despite missing four games this season because of injury. He has rushed for 816 yards and 10 touchdowns and has caught 28 passes for 257 yards.
* Guy has 98 tackles on the year, tied for second among the league's defensive backs. He has three interceptions, all coming against SEC opponents.
Wildcats Return to Practice: The Kentucky football team had its first postseason practice with a two-hour workout Saturday morning at the Nutter Field House.
The Wildcats will practice on Sunday from 2:30 to 4:25 and it is open to the public and media. Practice is expected to be held in the Nutter Field House because of projected winter weather.
The Wildcats are preparing for what would be a school-record fifth-consecutive bowl game. Bowl announcements will be made Sunday night.
Couch Representing UK as SEC Legend: Tim Couch, one of the most prolific passers in college football history, is UK’s Southeastern Conference Legend during the SEC Championship Game weekend in Atlanta, Ga.
Couch was honored at the annual SEC Legends Dinner on Friday and will be introduced during the championship game on Saturday.
Couch was a UK quarterback from 1996-98. He was a first-team All-American as a junior in 1998 and a consensus choice as the SEC Player of the Year. He finished fourth in the balloting for the Heisman Trophy. He guided the Wildcats to the Outback Bowl, UK’s first New Year’s Day bowl appearance in 47 years.
Couch finished his collegiate career by completing 795 passes in 1,184 attempts for 8,435 yards and 74 touchdowns. He set seven NCAA records, 14 SEC records and 26 school records.
Couch gave up his senior season of eligibility and was the No. 1 pick by Cleveland in the 1999 National Football League draft. He played five years for the Browns before his playing career was cut short by shoulder injuries.
Currently, Couch is a college football analyst for Fox Sports South. Couch appears on FSS’s weekly show, SEC Gridiron Live, and also is an analyst for FSS game broadcasts.
Advance Bowl Ticket Applications Deadline Extended Through Tuesday: A reminder to fans desiring to order tickets for Kentucky's bowl game, the advance ticket application deadline has been extended to Tuesday, Dec. 7.
Kentucky's destination for its school-record fifth-consecutive bowl appearance and the opponent will be announced officially on Sunday.
Here is the ticket information:
* University of Kentucky season-ticket holders should already have a bowl application sent through e-mail and U.S. mail. UK season-ticket holders may order tickets by mail, fax (859-323-1269) or online through their "My UK" account by Tuesday, Dec. 7, at 4 p.m. Ticket applications also can be delivered in-person to the UK Ticket Office at the Joe Craft Center, which is open Monday through Friday, from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
* Non-season-ticket holders may access an application online at UKathletics.com. Those applications should be mailed or faxed (859-323-1269) by Friday, Dec. 7, at 4 p.m. Non-season-ticket holders also may order tickets in-person at the UK Ticket Office.
* Fans also may call the UK Ticket Office at 800-928-2287, Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Because of the anticipated large number of phone calls, we encourage fans to order tickets via mail, fax, online, or in person at the ticket office.