LEXINGTON, Ky. – No. 12/10 Kentucky looks to continue its winning streak and remain undefeated when it meets No. 10/11 Louisville on Sunday at 1 p.m. ET in Memorial Coliseum.
Kentucky is 7-0 and is looking for its 28th consecutive win at home vs. a nonconference opponent. This is UK’s best start to a season since the 2009-10 season when the Cats began 11-0.
“We are definitely excited for our game on Sunday,” UK Hoops head coach Matthew Mitchell said. “It will be a huge challenge, our toughest challenge by far this season. I think we will find out a lot about our team. Two highly ranked teams and a big rivalry in this game, so it will be an exciting atmosphere and we are really appreciative of our crowd, having it sold out. It has all the makings for a great game; we are looking forward to it.”
The Wildcats’ defensive pressure has once again been their bread and butter as they lead the nation in turnover margin (+17.6). The Cats (7-0) have forced a league-high 250 turnovers for an average of 35.7 forced turnovers per game. Leading the charge is Louisville native A’dia Mathies. Mathies, who already ranks in the top 10 on UK’s all-time steals list, averages a Southeastern Conference-high 4.4 steals per game to go along with her team-best 15.4 points per game. She has netted double-figure points in all seven games this season, including a season-high 20 points twice. Freshman Bria Goss (Indianapolis) has also been a key contributor as she averages 10.9 points and 5.7 rebounds a game. Senior Keyla Snowden (Lexington, Ky.) and sophomore Kastine Evans (Salem, Conn.) each add 10.7 ppg, while sophomore Samantha Drake (Bardstown, Ky.) is the team’s leading rebounder with 8.6 rebounds per game.
Louisville (7-1) travels to Lexington after a 105-62 win over Murray State on Tuesday. The Cardinals are led by senior forward Monique Reid, who is averaging 17.0 points per game. On the glass, sophomore center Cierra Warren and freshman forward Sara Hammond average 6.3 and 5.6 rebounds per game, respectively.
This is the 48th meeting between intrastate rivals Kentucky and Louisville. The Cats lead the overall series 29-18, including a 19-4 advantage when the game is played in Lexington. UK won the last meeting in Memorial, 101-67.
This marks the second time in the series that both teams have been ranked in the top 25 of the national polls but the first time both teams have been ranked in the top 15. The last time both teams were ranked was in 2006.
Tickets are sold out. If not able to attend the game, it will be televised live on the UK IMG Sports Network and Fox Sports South. A live video stream is also available via ESPN3.com. It also can be heard on the UK IMG Sports Radio Network with Neil Price calling the action for the sixth consecutive season. Fans can also follow the UK Hoops team on Twitter at @UKHoopCats and use #UKHoops to comment on the game.
Women's basketball parking for Sunday’s game is available in the following surface lots and parking structures:
• Student Center Lot - off Euclid Ave
• MLK South Lot - between Lexington Ave and MLK Blvd. and south (towards Euclid) of the center drive lane. DO NOT PARK IN NORTH MLK LOT (closest to Wildcat Lodge) AS THIS IS A RESIDENTIAL LOT AND SUBJECT TO TICKET/TOW
• Handicapped Parking (first come-first served until full) is located in the Northeast corner of the MLK South Lot, must have valid state-issued hang tag
• Joe Craft Center North E-Lot - large lot located north of the Joe Craft Center, and accessible via Lexington Avenue or Rose St.
• Good Samaritan surface Lot - accessible off MLK Blvd
• Parking Structure #5 - entrances off Limestone and S. Upper
- Doors to the Coliseum will open one (1) hour prior to tip-off.
- UK Athletics encourages women's basketball fans to arrive early to ease traffic and parking congestion around the Coliseum.
- Surface event lots (i.e. Student Center, Hardymon, South MLK, Joe Craft Center North and Good Samaritan Surface Lot) typically reach capacity approximately 45 minutes prior to tip-off, at which point, vehicles should proceed to Parking Structure #5 (PS#5).
- The PS #5 shuttle will begin one hour prior to tip and end one hour post-game. The PS #5 shuttle picks up on Administration Drive, accessible via the sky bridge located on the 3rd Floor of PS#5.