LEXINGTON, Ky. – No. 14/11 Kentucky women’s basketball continues its nine-game home stand with a matchup against first-time opponent Nebraska Omaha on Wednesday, Nov. 23. Game time in Memorial Coliseum is 4 p.m. ET.
“We are looking forward to another challenge tomorrow as we try to improve as a team and get better,” UK Hoops head coach Matthew Mitchell said. “We need to come out with a lot of energy and continue to try to improve as a defensive team. I’m looking for, hopefully, some steps forward from our post players. That’s been a real big emphasis in practice. There’s a lot to work on this time of year and we have a good challenge ahead of us tomorrow. We’re looking forward to playing them.”
Kentucky went 3-0 last week, defeating Jacksonville State, 100-25, Northeastern, 81-47, and Southern Mississippi, 88-71. It is the third straight season UK has started 4-0. Last Tuesday, UK forced a program-record 48 turnovers against Jacksonville State, and held the Gamecocks to a program-tying low of 25 total points.
Junior guard A’dia Mathies (Louisville, Ky.) had a fantastic week, averaging 19.3 points, 7.0 rebounds, 2.3 assists and 4.3 steals in Kentucky’s three games. Mathies scored the 1,000th point of her UK career vs. Southern Mississippi, becoming the 28th member of UK’s 1,000-point club and the fourth-fastest Wildcat to ever reach the storied mark (74 games).
Overall this season, Mathies leads five players in double-figure scoring with an average of 18.5 points per game. She also leads the team in steals with 14 and is tied for the lead in rebounding with 6.8 boards per game. Sophomore Kastine Evans (Salem, Conn.) follows Mathies in the scoring column with 13.0 ppg, while Keyla Snowden (Lexington, Ky.), Azia Bishop (Toledo, Ohio) and Bria Goss (Indianapolis) add 10.5, 10.3 and 10.0 ppg, respectively.
As a team, Kentucky leads the SEC in seven different statistical categories: scoring offense (91.2), scoring margin (+40.5), rebounding offense (47.8), steals (18.0), turnover margin (+18.2), offensive rebounds (24.8) and offensive rebound percentage (.516).
Mitchell is just one victory shy of moving into a tie for third all-time at Kentucky in wins, while the Wildcats look to continue their 24-game home winning streak vs. non-conference opponents, dating back to the 2008-09 season.
The Mavericks come to Lexington coming off a 70-57 win over Upper Iowa in their home opener. Nebraska Omaha is 2-1 on the season.
Fans interested in tickets can visit the Joe Craft Center ticket office, go to UKathletics.com, or call the UK ticket office at 1-800-928-CATS.
Single-game reserved tickets are available at a cost of $7 for all ages. General admission tickets for adults are also $7 while single-game general admission tickets for seniors and children (18 and under, 65 and over) are only $4. Age 5 and under are admitted free.
Season tickets for the entire 18-game home schedule are also still available for $45, except lower-level chair back seating, which are $60 and sold out.
If not able to attend the game, it can be heard live on the UK IMG Sports Radio Network with Neil Price calling the action. Fans can follow the UK Hoops team on Twitter at @UKHoopCats and use #UKHoops to comment on the game. A live video stream is available on the subscription video portion of www.UKathletics.com.
Women's basketball parking is available in the following surface lots and parking structures. Because of the Thanksgiving break, more parking is available in the lots surrounding Memorial Coliseum:
• Student Center Lot - off Euclid Ave
• MLK South Lot - between Lexington Ave and MLK Blvd. and south (towards Euclid) of the center drive lane.
Note: The residential (R1) lot in the northern portion of the MLK lot will also be available during the Thanksgiving Break for games on November 23, 25 and 27 only.
• Handicapped Parking (first come-first served until full) is located in the Northeast corner of the MLK South Lot, must have valid state-issued hang tag.
• Joe Craft Center North E-Lot - large lot located north of the Joe Craft Center, and accessible via Lexington Avenue or Rose St.
• Good Samaritan surface Lot - accessible off MLK Blvd
• Parking Structure #5 - entrances off Limestone and S. Upper
- Doors to the Coliseum will open one (1) hour prior to tip-off.
- UK Athletics encourages women's basketball fans to arrive early to ease traffic and parking congestion around the Coliseum.
- Surface event lots (i.e. Student Center, Hardymon, South MLK, Joe Craft Center North and Good Samaritan Surface Lot) typically reach capacity approximately 45 minutes prior to tip-off, at which point, vehicles should proceed to Parking Structure #5 (PS#5).
- The PS #5 shuttle will begin one hour prior to tip and end one hour post-game. The PS #5 shuttle picks up on Administration Drive, accessible via the sky bridge located on the 3rd Floor of PS#5.