The Adventures of Molly Whuppie
August 22, 23, 28 and 29 at 10:00 am; August 22, 23, and 28 at 1:00 pm
Jenny Wiley Theatre, 218 Second Street, Pikeville, KY
The Adventures of Molly Whuppie is a delightful, funny, musical production combining traditional Appalachian folktales with contemporary sensibility. Molly Whuppie, who is clever, brave and strong, encounters witches, giants, an ogre, and all manner of conundrums yet manages to outwit them all with a potent combination of nerve, trickery, and just plain luck. Also appearing in the story are Molly's sisters Polly and Betts, a couple of cow eating Giants, an Ogre, a Witch, and the Queen! Rated G for GREAT Fun! Cast: Kayli Gizel, Amanda Nifong, Emily Dixon, Gabe Johnson Director: Megan Burnett
Holly Provance Doggett, 877-CALLJWT, email@example.com
FEUD Part 1
Jenny Wiley Theatre, 218 Second Street, Pikeville
The feud between the Hatfields and the McCoys has become a modern symbol of the perils of family honor, justice, and vengeance. FEUD Part 1 explores the forbidden love story between Johnse Hatfield and Roseanna McCoy. Set in 1881 in Pike County, KY, Johnse, Roseanna, and Paris McCoy have one fateful night to tell their stories. Truths are revealed, history is set in motion, and the legend begins. Audience rating: PG Cast: Robert Daniels, Mary Hussey, John Robertson Director: Kimberly Hover Willard
Holly Provance Doggett, Executive Director, Jenny Wiley Theatre, 877CALLJWT, firstname.lastname@example.org
PODS® of Lexington offers a crash course in college moving for students
PODS of Lexington understands that for students heading off to college it is meant to be a thrilling and life-changing experience. From generations before, students heading off to college are tasked with packing up their belongings and moving into their new home for the next four years.
For over a decade, PODS of Lexington has helped thousands move without the stress of doing the driving.The moving and storage leader is offering college students entering the fall semester tips to ensure a smooth, less stressful move before they make their way into their new college residence.
“The move away from home to college transition is an exciting and emotional time for parents and students” said Ken Kocon, general manager of PODS of Lexington. “PODS is here to help undergrads have a relaxing moving experience into their new living space by offering dependable moving and storage options.”
Before students make the big move, PODS of Lexington offers simplified moving tips to help make their move safer, greener and much more efficient:
10 College Moving Tips for Students
1. Check out the college or apartment complex website for moving information and resources ahead of time. Use a checklist of suggested items to bring and keep the packing process focused and streamlined.
2. Begin packing belongings a couple of weeks ahead of time to keep last minute stress to a minimum. Instead of cramming everything into a car with only room for the driver, rent a PODS container one week prior to the moving date and let PODS deliver everything to the new destination. This provides a relaxed schedule for both parents and students.
3. Have a friend, roommate or fellow student moving to the same school? With enough room to spare, share the cost of a PODS container with your friend.
4. If you will be sharing a dorm room with one or more fellow students, contact them ahead of time. Discuss personal styles and work together on making the dorm room a “home away from home.” Discuss larger items such as microwaves and TVs to avoid duplicates to maximize space.
5. Upon arrival to the new living destination, give the folks at PODS a call for a scheduled delivery of your PODS container. Unpacking is easy thanks to ground-floor accessibility.
6. Be realistic and don’t over-pack. Find out the dimensions of the room(s) that will be occupied. Consolidate and don’t bring items that won’t be needed.
7. Important rule of thumb for packing boxes: pack heavy items such as books in small boxes and lighter items such as towels and linens in larger boxes. Be sure to label each of your boxes on all sides.
8. Make sure items are safely protected during the move. Items most likely used for packaging include: bubble wrap, packing tape, and plastic stretch wrap, cushion foam, wadded up newspapers and old blankets and towels.
9. Think ahead and buy green. Purchase green items such as natural material furniture and organic sheets to reduce your carbon footprint. Donate your used items to local nonprofits.
10. Ask family and friends in advance for help transporting belongings in and out of PODS containers. If no help is available, a local PODS representative will have a list of reliable labor service providers available for an affordable cost.
About PODS Lexington
Opened in 2004, PODS of Lexington is the leading provider of moving and storage services to individuals and business in the Lexington Bluegrass region of Kentucky.
Owners, David and Ken Kocon, have over 35 years of combined business experience. PODS of Lexington is a leading corporate citizen and the Kocons support their local community with donations of PODS containers to charitable organizations and community events throughout the year.
Founded in 1998, PODS currently provides moving and storage services to a population of more than 250 million consumers and businesses, in 46 U.S. states, Canada, Australia and the UK, through its company-owned and independent franchise network. To date, the PODS network has completed more than 400,000 long-distance relocations, exceeded 2.0 million deliveries and has over 150,000 PODS containers in service.
Denise Bean-White, ext. 111
Erin Brown, ext. 115
Fiddler on the Roof
August 21-23 at 7:30pm and August 24 at 2:30pm.
Leeds Center for the Arts
Leeds Center for the Arts is proud to present one of Broadway's most beloved shows, Fiddler on the Roof. This classic musical, set in prerevolutionary Russia examines the many pitfalls of a poor Jewish milkman tasked with marrying off his three daughters. Come enjoy the many classic songs such as "If I Were a Rich Man," "Tradition," and "Sunrise, Sunset." For tickets please call 859-744-6437. Visit www.leedscenter.org for more information.
Leeds Center for the Arts, 859-744-6437, 37 N. Main St. Winchester, KY
10am - 2pm
Car Show benefiting Wesley Christian School judging in several categories also music, food and inflatables
Jessica Jarrell 606 2056570
Chevy Chase Street Fair
4pm - 10pm
800 Block of Euclid Ave
Chevy Chase Street Fair will be held at 800 Block of Euclid Ave from 4pm til 10pm on August 23 2014. There will be food, drinks, music, shopping and more. Come out and enjoy and evening with family and friends.
Rain date: Sept 13th
Monkey Joe's Hosts Active Kids = Healthy Hearts
1850 Bryant Rd. Suite 120, Lexington, KY 40509
During August, Monkey Joe's will be raising funds for the American Heart Association through Active Kids = Healthy Hearts. Join us in support when you visit and help us reach our goal of 10,000 hours of jumping!
Double Saints Festival
08/22/2014 5pm - 10pm & 08/23/2014 10am - 10pm
3159 Newtown Pike, Georgetown, KY 40324
Attractions this year include a car cruise-in and car show, craft vendors, foods vendors for every taste, inflatables, kid’s games, pony rides, a petting zoo, a live auction, a $10,000 raffle, and much more! This is truly an event for the entire family. New this year, live entertainment - starting Friday (August 22nd) night, Bill Kelly, gospel singer and Elvis impersonator will perform. Then, on Saturday, we will be featuring Swing Street Band who were voted the Readers’ Choice Award, for both 2013 AND 2014, as the “Best Local Band.” Also on Saturday, the musical/comedy duo “Spittin’ Image” will perform. Finally, our featured band, Chris Leigh & the Broken Hearts Band will be performing from 7-9:00 PM. Chris was named “Who to Watch in 2013” by the Country Music Association. You may remember last year, Chris premiered one of his music videos “If You Make It to Heaven” at our own St. Francis de Sales Church – which was where it was also filmed!
Lafayette High School Class of 1964 50th Reunion
Email For Time
Downtown Hilton, Lexington KY
Cocktails, Dinner, Dance