Selected Community Events
Celebrate Martin Luther King Day at the Explorium
Jan 21, 2013 10:00 A.M.-5:00 P.M.
Explorium of Lexington
44 West Short St
Join the Explorium in celebrating American history and the spirit of MLK day by exploring the lives and accomplishments of great African Americans!
Don’t miss out on discount admission for this fun day! Three free children per 1 paying adult! Members attend free!
Check out these cool interactive stations!
• Explore Josephine Baker’s music, theatrical dress up, and secret messages to the French Resistance!
• Stand for justice with our first African American Senator, Hiram Rhodes Revels! Take a trip back in time to the Civil War when America fought to take its first steps towards equality for all! Your vote counts!
• Launch into space with Guion S. Bluford Jr.! As the first African American in space, Bluford made history and assisted in conducting medical measurements to understand the effects of life in space during his first launch! Experiment with cell life and space travel right here with us!
• Dive into lasers and ophthalmology with Patricia Bath, the first African American Female doctor to patent a medical invention! Dr. Bath’s passion for prevention and treatment of blindness led her to develop the Cataract Laserphaco Probe. Try your own hand at the laser game and Cataract Lenses!
• Learn about the work and simple artistic expression of modern artist Kara Walker! Using paper we’ll create silhouettes and designs to creatively express the power of equality!
• Explore famous jazz musician, Louis Armstrong and the smooth grooves of jazz music! Special show times: 10:30am 11:30am 1:30pm