Stoops, UK agree to contract extension
35 mins ago
- The contract of University of Kentucky football head coach Mark Stoops has been amended to extend through the 2019 season, UK Director of Athletics Mitch Barnhart announced Friday.
Parking plan, festival announced for Garth Brooks shows in Lexington
Updated: 12:36 PM
- More than 80,000 people are expected in downtown Lexington when Garth Brooks comes to town on October 31 and November 1. City leaders say the large crowds could mean major traffic and parking issues.
West Virginia receives $1.2M in federal health funding
Posted: 7:32 AM
- U.S. Senators Joe Manchin and Jay Rockefeller announced the funding for the state health department's Office of Maternal, Child and Family Health on Thursday.
Farm to Campus Program expands to Transylvania University
Posted: 7:34 AM
- State Agriculture Commissioner James Comer says the initiative encourages universities to buy as much local food as possible and to sign contracts with multiple growers.
Lawsuit claims deadly 2012 Paintsville house fire result of murder plot
- A murder or freak accident? In 2012 a house fire claimed the life of, Mark Girard. The quadraplegic's remains were found inside his house on State Street in Paintsville. Family member's now claim he was killed in a murder plot organized by his ex-wife and caregiver.
Leslie County bank raises money for cancer research with Halloween events
- Dozens of kids decorated pumpkins and celebrated Halloween Thursday night at Hyden Citizens Bank.
"March" Madness in November: Parts One and Two
- On Wednesday, we introduced you to two eastern Kentucky marching bands set to compete in the semifinals of the KEMA State Band Championship this weekend. WYMT’s Eric Eckstrom continues those introductions Thursday with Corbin High School, Pineville High School, and Harlan Independent High School.
Harlan County coal miner finds new career in law enforcement
- It is by no means a new story but it is one that continues to impact hundreds, if not thousands, in our region.
DAV members say road easement would ruin property
- Members of the Disabled American Veterans Hazard Chapter No. 64 do not want a county road built through its property.
Several people arrested in Bell County drug roundup
- Thursday’s round-up started with troopers and officers looking for 25 individuals in Bell County.
Investigation finds 5 schools with less than 'good' football helmets
- A month-long investigation discovered five high schools in central, southern and eastern Kentucky with football helmets deemed less than “good” by a rating system to denote their ability to reduce the risk of concussions.
Harlan County man indicted on assault charge
- A Grand Jury indicted Brian Owens earlier this week.
McConnell takes biggest lead yet in Senate race
- The poll found the longtime Kentucky senator's re-election bid leading 48 percent to Grimes’ 43 percent in his strongest showing to date.
Police: Man wanted in Pennsylvania trooper ambush is captured
- Police say they have 31-year-old Eric Frein in custody. The ambush was Sept. 12. The seven-week hunt for him ended Thursday.
Lawrence County man and woman face meth related charges
- Sheriff's deputies arrested Hope Hundley and Scott Bunyard late Wednesday night.
Man shot after argument turns violent in Perry Co.
- Shepherd refused to leave and allegedly advanced toward Dixon. Troopers say she shot him one time in the leg.
Accident closes Laurel Co. road
- A Laurel County highway was closed after a truck took out an electrical pole.
More WYMT Headlines