1. AIRSTRIKE ONSLAUGHT ON GAZA STRIP
Israel's most intense offensive on the Gaza Strip in four years sets off new rounds of fighting, with an early rocket attack killing three Israelis.
2. A NEW LEADER FOR CHINA IN A COUNTRY THAT WANTS CHANGE
Xi Jinping secured the Communist Party's top spot to lead a nation clamoring for economic and political reform.
3. THE EMAIL THAT GAVE BIRTH TO A SCANDAL
The anonymous email in May warned the top U.S. commander in Afghanistan to stay away from a Florida socialite, the first in a chain of messages that led to the downfall of CIA Director David Petraeus.
4. THE AGENT WHO TRACKED THE GENERALS
FBI Special Agent Frederick Humphries II helped stop a Los Angeles airport terror plot more than a decade ago.
5. OBAMA SAYS THE NATION IS SECURE
The president sees no evidence that the messy drama that ended his CIA director's career has endangered the country's security.
6. HARD TIMES AGAIN FOR THE EUROZONE
For the first time in three years, the 17 countries that use the euro have fallen back into a recession.
7. WHY DRINKING CAN MAKE YOU FAT
The Centers for Disease and Control and Prevention says that alcohol packs almost as many empty calories as sugary soda.
8. OBAMA, BOEHNER SPAR OVER THE NATION'S WELL-TO-DO
Let taxes rise on the rich, the president urges. That would hurt the economy and stunt job growth, the GOP leader counters.
9. HOW A NEW DISCOVERY COULD AID THE FIGHT AGAINST ALZHEIMER'S
Study of a just-identified variant gene might reveal ways to prevent the mind-robbing disorder.
10. HOW TO KILL 180 MILLION RATS
A helicopter is to begin dropping nearly 22 tons of poison bait to clear out rodents that have overrun the Galapagos Islands.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)