Temperatures are expected to dip into the 20's tonight and for many, that means turning up the heat for the first time in a while and that could be dangerous.
Below freezing temperatures mean many in Eastern Kentucky will look to stay warm by turning on the heater, but firefighters say your heater could start a fire and they recommend checking your unit carefully before doing anything else.
The cool temperatures are here and many of you are probably cranking up the heat to stay warm. Firefighters say dust and dirt could burn your heating unit and spark a fire.
"Probably a good temperature is around seventy degrees to get everything used to it start it out around seventy and if you haven't cleaned your coil off, let them get cooled off," said Firefighter Randy Courtney.
Courtney says most fires that start from heating units happen when people turn on their unit for the first time. Courtney says before you turn on your system, have a professional check it and to make sure your vents stay open.
"One reason is it will put carbon monoxide back into your house and of course carbon monoxide is odorless and tasteless until your unconscious and your calling or somebody is," Courtney said.
If possible, Courtney says you should have your heating system checked every year to stay warm and safe.
The Kentucky State Environmental and Public Protection Cabinet says you might want to consider turning off your heater when you are sleeping and check your smoke alarm to make sure it's working.