Man injured in explosion at workshop

We're learning more about an explosion that ripped through a workshop and left a man badly burned. It happened along D Anders Road, near London. The victim, Merv Proffitt, had to be airlifted to the hospital.

Merv Proffitt's wife Jean heard the explosion, but didn't think anything of it until her husband ran up to the house.

"He came in the door and he said, 'call 911 I just blew up the shop' and his face was all burned and his coat was burned off of him, and his hands, and he said, 'and find out what to put on this because I'm burning,'" said Jean Proffitt.

She called 911, and watched as emergency crews airlifted her husband to UK Hospital.

"He's done heating and air conditioning for 30 some years and they've worked on many a heat pump, furnace, air conditioner. But that's what he was doing. Was down there working on a heat pump."

Before his friends and family even finished patching up Proffitt's work shop, they found out he was okay, and was coming home.

"There's been many prayers put out for him since it happened and I really didn't expect him to be home today, but he's just a lucky fella to be alive really."

Doctors did release him from UK Hospital several hours after checking in. He is now back home recovering.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WYMT CONTACT INFO 199 Black Gold Blvd. Hazard, KY 41701 606-436-5757 - switchboard 606-439-9968 - newsroom
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 139544718