Couple Back In Kentucky After Last Week's Amber Alert

HENDERSON, Ky. (AP) - The boyfriend of a mother accused of
kidnapping her 10-month-old son from a social worker later found
dead admitted to killing the worker to reporters gathered outside
the local police station when they were returned to Kentucky from
When a throng of reporters greeted the couple Wednesday evening,
Christopher Wayne Luttrell "apologized for all the people he hurt,
all his family and friends," Henderson police Sgt. John Nevels
Luttrell was asked by a reporter if he killed Boni Frederick.
"Yes, ma'am," Luttrell replied.
Police from Henderson drove Renee Terrell and Luttrell from
southern Illinois in separate vehicles, Nevels said.
Federal prosecutors in Kentucky initially charged the couple
with fleeing to avoid prosecution on kidnapping charges, but have
dropped their charges so state authorities could prosecute the two
on felony murder, kidnapping, robbery and theft charges, Nevels
The two had been in separate jails since Friday, when they
agreed in an East St. Louis, Ill., federal court to returned to
Kentucky to face charges that they Frederick, 67, then abducted
Terrell's 10-month-old son, Saige.
FBI agents arrested Terrell, 33, and Luttrell, 23, on Oct. 19 in
a trailer where they sought shelter near Godfrey, Ill., about 30
miles north of St. Louis.
Authorities said the two, who had no connection to the area,
were foiled when the car they were driving - Frederick's station
wagon - broke down and became mired in mud. The couple called a
friend in Evansville, Ind., who began working with police to locate
them, Nevels said.
"All along we figured it was just a matter of time," Nevels
said. "We were more surprised it took us four days to catch
Nevels was among four Henderson officers to make the trip back
with the two suspects, with a female detective and a male one
escorting Terrell.
After their federal court appearance in East St. Louis last
Friday, Luttrell was jailed in Salem, Ill., Terrell somewhere else
in southern Illinois, Nevels said. Federal marshals brought both of
the suspects to Benton, Ill., where the Henderson officers
retrieved them.
"I asked (Luttrell) if he was ready to go back to Kentucky. He
said, `Yeah,"' Nevels said.
Luttrell "talked all the way back," discussing everything from
police who had arrested him in the past to rules of prisons where
he served time for burglaries and thefts, Nevels said. "We just
mainly listened."
Nevels said Luttrell told him he married Terrell through an
Indian shaman, explaining why Luttrell noted on a financial
affidavit filed with his Illinois federal extradition case that he
was the co-defendant's husband. In her affidavit and in federal
court, Terrell classified herself only as a widow.
Nevels declined to say what, if anything, Luttrell had to say
about the slain social worker. During the manhunt, Nevels said, Luttrell's mother helped
authorities in the search, trying to extract information from
Luttrell during telephone conversations monitored by investigators.
The baby was found unharmed and has been returned to foster
parents in Union County, Ky.
Terrell and Luttrell were expected to be arraigned by video in a
local court this week, with a preliminary hearing expected next
week, Nevels said.
Terrell's infant son had been removed from her custody when he
was 13 days old because of neglect, police said. Police also said
courts were in the process of permanently removing Terrell's
parental rights before Frederick was slain.

(Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

WYMT CONTACT INFO 199 Black Gold Blvd. Hazard, KY 41701 606-436-5757 - switchboard 606-439-9968 - newsroom
Copyright © 2002-2015 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 4482326 -
Gray Television, Inc.