Man Thankful For Firefighters Who Saved His Home

By: Jeff Allen Email
By: Jeff Allen Email

He says firefighters saved his home and Christmas. A Corbin man can't thank the men enough after they came to his rescue.

Thomas White says he made the mistake of thinking his wife turned off the stove when he took the dog for a walk, but she didn't.

"So much smoke I couldn't see around the corner but I had my cell phone in my pocket and called 911," White said.

And within a couple minutes, help was there.

"Before I could hang up the phone, I heard sirens," White said.

"We found a pot on the stove. The bottle had melted and the cooking oil caught on fire," said Jack Partin with the West Knox Volunteer Fire Department.

White had warned the firefighters about guns and ammunition he had in the house that he worried would go off and harm the men.

"All my guns are loaded. I've got extra shells and I don't know what's going to happen. He didn't hesitate. He comes through the smoke," White said

"You hope it doesn't happen. You know it's there, but you keep going. You've got a job to do and that's what we do," Partin said.

The firefighters not only saved Thomas White's home from serious damage, but White says they prevented the fire from destroying gifts he has ready for his grandson.

"I saw so many stories about people losing everything this time of year and well, they won this one," White said.

"Save property and life, that's the name of the game," Partin said.

But by just doing his job, Volunteer Firefighter Jack Partin saved Christmas and some sure to be smiles for Thomas White's grandson, Bryson.

Thomas White's house did sustain some smoke damage and because of a health condition, White and his wife will have to stay somewhere else for the holidays.


WYMT CONTACT INFO 199 Black Gold Blvd. Hazard, KY 41701 606-436-5757 - switchboard 606-439-9968 - newsroom
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 4984176 - wkyt.com/a?a=4984176