Flight 5191: Air Traffic Controller Interview & Transcript Of Cockpit Voice Recorder Too Be Released

By: Sam Dick - Email
By: Sam Dick - Email

Wednesday morning we should know much more about the crash of Comair Flight 5191.

The National Transportation Safety Board will release a series of reports including an interview with the lone air traffic controller, and transcripts from the cockpit voice recorder.

When Flight 5191 taxied into position for take-off on that August morning, we know that two other airliners had already left Blue Grass Airport on runway two-two without any problems.

The NTSB says Flight 5191 was also cleared to taxi to runway two-two.

But after confirming runway two-two Captain Jeff Clay taxied on runway two-six, an unlit, much shorter runway and then turned the controls over to the First Officer, James Polehinke, for take-off.

Polehinke would end up being the lone survivor of the fiery crash that was to come.

The NTSB says the flight data recorder shows the Comair flight stopped for about 45- seconds before getting the clearance for take-off.

Once that was given, about six seconds later, the plane started to taxi onto runway 26.

It took about 36-seconds for the plain to taxi onto runway 26, and complete the turn, before power was increased. 32 seconds later, the plane came to the end of the much too short runway. And four seconds after that, the flight data recorder ends.

Flight 5191 would come to rest about 1800-feet from the runway after reaching a speed of about 158-miles per hour.

The NTSB has already said there's no indication either pilot tried to abort the take-off.

In the factual reports about to be released, we should know word for word, exactly what the pilots said as Flight 5191 taxied and took-off.

WYMT CONTACT INFO 199 Black Gold Blvd. Hazard, KY 41701 606-436-5757 - switchboard 606-439-9968 - newsroom
Copyright © 2002-2015 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 5228581 - wkyt.com/a?a=5228581
Gray Television, Inc.