Lee Daniels Sr. was sleeping peacefully in his home early Friday morning when he was awakened abruptly.
"It was about 3:00 in the morning when the smoke detectors went off. I got up and saw a little fire in the other room." says Lee Daniels Sr.
That little fire quickly over took his home causing three fire departments to respond.
"Upon our arrival we pulled up to a fully involved structure, heavy fire and smoke was coming from the residence and adjacent structures were in danger as well." says Lieutenant Ashley Hatfield, from Sunshine Fire Department in Harlan.
Daniels lost everything in the fire but is thankful he made it out alive.
"My advice would be if they own a home or rent a home to get them some smoke detectors before they lay down." he says.
Fire officials say with cold weather on its way the chances of a house fire actually increases and they want home owners to be prepared. They encourage everyone to have smoke detectors in their home.
"Anybody can purchase them at their general Wal-Mart or hardware store and if they need assistance with it then the fire department will come and install them." adds Hatfield.
Most importantly test everything before you turn you're heating unit on.
"Make sure you have your smoke detectors in place, everything tested regularly. if you have a fireplace make sure chimneys have been cleaned and furnaces are inspected before the general cold weather hits." says Hatfield.
Harlan County fire officials say they also keep several smoke detectors on hand anyone who needs a smoke detector should stop by the fire station.