An early morning fire destroys a home in Perry County.
Three children and their grandmother made it out alive.
Fire crews got a call after three Tuesday morning saying the house was on fire.
We talked to the homeowner tonight and he says, despite losing everything in the home, it was not a total loss.
Sammy Walker is saddened by the loss of his home, but is grateful his family is still alive.
“It's god's blessing that my family got out,” Walker says. This material stuff can be replaced but the family got out and everybody was safe.”
Fire crews are helping walker's family start over.
“We're grateful that no one was inside,” Billy Martin with the Chavies Fire Department says. “They had three small kids and we're trying to help get them clothes.”
Fire crews had a tough time getting to the house due to slick roads.
“Once we arrived, the house was fully engulfed, there wasn't much we could do,” Chavies Fire Chief Ben Stidham says. “Just kept the fire off the two neighboring houses.”
Walker was in Virginia at the time of the fire.
“It's hard to drive three hours in the snow and ice to see everything that you worked for up in smoke,” Walker says.
“I lost my mining tools,” Walker says. “I lost every bit of the furniture in our home. We lost all of my grandkid's clothes.”
Martin says the windy conditions made the fire worse.
“It was actually fueling the fire,” Martin says. “And that was our biggest problem.”
And even though their house is gone, walker says his family will be alright.
Officials believe an electrical problem started the fire and no foul play is suspected.