A Johnson County family loses their home after it goes up in flames.
The fire happened at the corner of Highway 302 and 1428 in West Van Lear.
The homeowner is thankful for fire crews because several personal belongings were able to be saved.
Verda Music is saddened by the loss of her home. However, she is keeping her spirits up because no one was hurt in the fire.
Verda Music lived in this home for 17 years. She was walking home from the post office when she saw her house on fire.
“Me and my grandkids has lost everything and they're going to be very upset when they find out,” Music says. “My daughter and her husband lost all their clothes, they lost everything they had. But luckily it didn't get in to my room or the kid's room, but there was a lot of smoke so maybe we can get it cleaned.”
Music just lost her husband a few months ago. She says she is thankful no one was inside the home at the time of the fire.
“I'd rather see my house get burned than one of my kids get burned,” Music says.
“There were no injuries, no firemen were injured and it was just a good job all the way around by everybody,” Bill Hamm with the Paintsville Fire Department says.
Officials say the breaker box is what started the fire. Crews were able to save as much as they could.
“Doesn't look like a whole lot but there is a lot left in there,” Hamm says. “There's a lot of devastation in the house, but even the food in the freezer is salvageable because it's still frozen. A lot of photographs there's a lot of clothes in closed dresser drawers that are going to be salvageable.”
Music will start going through some of the items that were saved throughout the next few days.
Music does have insurance so that will help. In the meantime, she will stay with friends and family.
Enter your number for a chance to win great prizes!
Message and data rates may apply