When Appalachian Regional Healthcare announced plans in 2006 to transform the former Hazard Walmart building in the Black Gold Plaza into a Medical Mall, those involved in the process knew it would be a massive undertaking.
Today, that undertaking has paid off as residents now have easy access to outpatient medical care, physical and cardiac rehabilitation, home medical equipment, retail pharmacy, surgical weight loss services and the new Medical Imaging Center.
Hazard ARH Senior Community CEO Donnie Fields said the 90,000-square-foot ARH Medical Mall offers residents in Perry and surrounding counties a convenient answer to outpatient healthcare services and will address the future healthcare needs of the community while also making good use of existing business space in Hazard.
“ARH supports all of its communities and is always looking for ways to not only improve the health of our residents, but also to help boost the local economy,” Fields said. “The ARH Medical Mall is just another example of how ARH is finding innovative, patient-focused ways to increase the level of care available in the areas it serves and making access to our services as convenient as possible.”
In addition to the Medical Mall Imaging Center, services currently available in the ARH Medical Mall include:
· The ARH Bariatric Center. It offers those who have not been able to lose weight through traditional diet and exercise a healthy way to lose a significant amount of weight. The practice is headed by G. Derek Weiss, MD and John Oldham, Jr., MD., who are recognized by the American Society of Bariatric and Metabolic Surgery as Center of Excellence Surgeons.
· The ARH HomeCare Store. Staffed with respiratory therapists, the ARH HomeCare Stores provide 24-hour support to our home respiratory and medical equipment patients. A complete line of medical supplies and bariatric nutrition are also available.
· The cardiac rehabilitation program which is designed to provide safe activities and education to prepare you for the challenges of returning to your day-to-day activities after experiencing a heart attack or undergoing heart bypass surgery.
· Physical and Occupational Therapy which helps people to restore normal functioning, improve their mobility, and achieve a greater degree of independence. Licensed physical therapists, licensed occupational therapists, licensed physical therapy assistants, and physical therapy aides staff the Physical and Occupational Therapy Department.
· The Medical Mall also is home to the Veteran’s Administration Clinic and Quantum Healthcare, a private family practice clinic.
· ARH Community Pharmacy with a drive-thru.
The complete renovation of the former department store, which had sat vacant for two years, has also attracted state-wide attention and was recently chosen for an Associated Builders and Contractors (ABC) “Award of Excellence.”
Enter your number for a chance to win great prizes!
Message and data rates may apply