Emergency crews and environmental officials were at an Eastern Kentucky high school all day cleaning up a mercury spill.
Officials say a custodian working at Pineville High School Thursday night noticed a barometer leaking mercury. That classroom was closed for clean up Friday, but students did have school. Officials say there wasn't a risk for long term exposure to mercury which can be dangerous.
"It will affect the body's nervous system. What the students are having is short term exposure, not a big concern, but we still want to clean up the mercury," said Robert Francis with the Kentucky Department of Environmental Protection.
Officials tested students’ shoes but they determined no mercury was carried outside the high school.