Investigation continues into man who caught on fire in Corbin

By: Angela Beavin Email
By: Angela Beavin Email

A hotel employee finds a man in the parking lot engulfed in flames.

This all happened near the Holiday Inn Express, off exit 25, in Corbin. The burned man is now at UK Hospital, as police try to figure out how the fire started

It all happened behind the hotel. An employee at the Holiday Inn Express says he saw a man walking towards the hotel -- and he was engulfed in flames. That's when the worker came outside to help put the fire out, and called 911.

"He had looked out the back door of the motel and could see that somebody was on fire," says Sgt. Shannon Jones with Corbin Police.

The burning man--walking in flames--was Kenneth Patrick Turvey of Missouri.

The hotel employee immediately went out to help Turvey, using mud and water from a drainage ditch to put out the flames before emergency crews arrived.

Police are still unsure just why Turvey was on fire, but an employee at the McDonald's next door says he saw something unusual just moments earlier.

"A gentleman walking from the McDonald's over there over to Speedway," says Dave Madden.

He says the man came out with two gas cans.

"he put gas in both of them and when he left there, he walked up this way and that's the last I saw him," Madden says.

A melted gas can, a cigarette lighter, and remnants of clothing are still at the scene.

Emergency workers say Turvey was slightly responsive, but 99 percent of his body was burned.

"He was discolored and had severe burns, he was kind of black all over," says Jones.

Turvey was not staying at the hotel.

He was airlifted to UK Hospital and listed in critical condition.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WYMT CONTACT INFO 199 Black Gold Blvd. Hazard, KY 41701 606-436-5757 - switchboard 606-439-9968 - newsroom
Copyright © 2002-2015 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 99612119 -
Gray Television, Inc.