CUMBERLAND, Ky. (WYMT) - The Harlan County Deputy Coroner says 9-month-old Jazmyne Whitehead might have died from carbon monoxide poisoning.
The infant was pronounced dead on Friday at a home on Highway 160 in Cumberland.
Samuel Kelly was taking care of the child at the time.
"She was always happy, sweetest thing," said Kelly.
Kelly was not related to the baby, but he loved her as one of his own children.
"Oh that was my heart," said Kelly.
Kelly helped the baby's mother care for Jazmyne since birth. Friday, while the mother went to the store, he says he put Jazmyne on the couch.
"I laid her down beside me, tried to wake her up and she wouldn't wake up," said Kelly.
EMS responded and tried CPR but it was too late. Deputy Coroner Jim Rich pronounced her dead at the scene.
The deputy coroner says it appears the baby died from possible carbon monoxide poisoning, but official autopsy results are not in yet.
Kelly says he has a generator in the back of the home but did not think it could possibly cause the baby's death.
"No, I never dreamed it would happen. I loved her more than anything," said Kelly.
State police say they are investigating the baby's death as standard procedure, but troopers say they cannot release any details on their investigation.
"At this time we are waiting on autopsy results to come back from the state medical examiner's office and particularly we're waiting on lab results and pathology report to come back," said Trooper Jason Joseph.
Deputy Coroner Jim Rich says it could take several weeks to get the final autopsy results and official cause of death.
Meanwhile the family is mourning the loss of baby Jazmyne.
"I just wish I could have her back," said Kelly.
Funeral services for Jazmyne Whitehead are Tuesday at 1:00 p.m. at the Tri-City Pentecostal Church in Cumberland.