Carbon monoxide safety

By: Greg Robinson Email
By: Greg Robinson Email

It's colorless, odorless, and kills with little to no warning.

Many of us know about the dangers of carbon monoxide ... but the warmer winter may be to blame for folks forgetting to safeguard their home.

Local fire departments know all to well the dangers of carbon monoxide.

"The sneaky part of it is you are affected by it before you realize," said Whitesburg fire fighter Perry Fowler.

Frazier's hardware store says they have notice a decrease this season in carbon monoxide detector sales.

"They haven't been selling quite as many, compared from last year. There's actually been less purchased this year," said Frazier's employee Darren Atkins.

A costly mistake not to have one that does not cost that much to prevent.
The gas can enter your home in more ways than one.

"If you have a closed room with candles, those things can actually build up and thats where some of your chronic carbon monoxide poisoning can come into play," said Fowler.

Fire officials say to avoid carbon monoxide get your heating units checked annually, have a carbon monoxide detector and change the batteries regularly.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WYMT CONTACT INFO 199 Black Gold Blvd. Hazard, KY 41701 606-436-5757 - switchboard 606-439-9968 - newsroom
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 136452578 - wkyt.com/a?a=136452578
Gray Television, Inc.