WYMT | Eastern KY | News, Weather, Sports

Clothes dryer starts Perry County house fire

HAZARD, Ky. (WYMT) - A home was nearly destroyed by a fire on Sunday in Perry County.

The Avawam Fire Department answered the call around 2:30 in the afternoon.

The fire chief says most of the inside of the home was in flames when they arrived.

He says the woman living there heard a loud boom, and then saw that her clothes dryer had caught fire.

The chief says dryers can be very dangerous if not properly maintained.

“If you have a dryer I would suggest that people would clean them out every six months because if it gets a lot of lint in the filter or in and around the dryer it could cause a fire, said Chief Leonard Toler.

Officials say everyone safely got out of the home before firefighters arrived on scene.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WYMT CONTACT INFO 199 Black Gold Blvd. Hazard, KY 41701 606-436-5757 - switchboard 606-439-9968 - newsroom
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 212705851 - wkyt.com/a?a=212705851