Clubhouse and home burned to the ground

By: Jerrika Insco Email
By: Jerrika Insco Email

A fire at about one a.m. Sunday morning ripped through the Harlan Country Club's clubhouse.

It was a historic building to many and a home to one family.

With plans to cook for his mother on Mother's Day, this is the last thing Tim Greene expected to see when he woke up.

"I kinda had like a burning sensation in my nose, and I raised and it smelt like electrical burned plastic. And when I got up and opened my bedroom door into the kitchen and living room, it was just pure white smoke," said Tim Greene, who lived and worked in the burned building.

Greene narrowly made it out alive basically dragging himself and his mother out of the burning building, which was his home and place of work.

"My wallet and everything was right beside me, that's how fast it went, just catching on fire, so I just run out pretty much in my boxers," said Greene.

His 15-year-old daughter Bridget was not home, which is something Greene says he is thankful for even though his family lost so many memories.

"Pictures of my father who passed away and my daughter's pictures when she was a baby. Just stuff like that," said Greene.

Greene not only lived here but worked in the building the people in Harlan County consider historic.

"I just can't believe it's gone. After everything we've been through. This place has been here for years. My papaw even used to work here, and it's just gone," said Bridget Greene.

The more than 70-year-old building will be missed, but the Greene family's lives are irreplaceable unlike the clubhouse.

What started the blaze is unknown, but some officials do suspect it was an electrical fire.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WYMT CONTACT INFO 199 Black Gold Blvd. Hazard, KY 41701 606-436-5757 - switchboard 606-439-9968 - newsroom
Copyright © 2002-2015 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 151310015 -
Gray Television, Inc.